Thread: Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

Hybrid View

Default Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

Phoronix: Intel Pushes Open-Source Support For Ivy Bridge

Just as I had said two weeks ago: expect Intel "Ivy Bridge" open-source Linux support to be pushed to the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. This code was pushed today in preparation for the Linux 2.6.40 kernel. It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc. Here's Intel's Ivy Bridge code that enables next-generation hardware support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM4Mg

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    It will land in a similar manner to Valve's Source/Steam native Linux support coming soon, early AMD Bulldozer benchmarks, ATI/AMD's "Orka" Linux driver support in the past, etc.
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Huh? I don't follow that. Was this just a randomly generated list of previous articles you could link to?

First you say the driver code has been released, and will soon be added to the upstream mainline kernel. Ok.

Then you compare that to the rumored Source/Steam release which you claim is coming out, but hasn't yet (unless you're saying it will also come out with 2.6.40 for some reason? It doesn't have anything to do with the kernel AFAIK.

Then you mention bulldozer benchmarks. That's not even code. Are you saying that bulldozer CPUs are coming? They shouldn't require any special code to support them.

Then you mention a past ATI driver which was released. Again, not seeing the connection. It was released a long time ago, what does that have to do with Ivy Bridge support?
    There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There's one common point... If you don't understand it now, it should become apparent soon.
    After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

After thinking a little bit, I get that the ATI driver and the Source/Steam releases were/are doubted. But everyone knew Bulldozer CPUs were coming, and I didn't think there was any doubt about Ivy Bridge support either.

I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.
    Haha, well this is literally the worst night possibly for Intel to drop the IVB code.... But just wait and see, or think at least on a much broader scale.

I don't get it aswell, but I guess it's too early in the morning for it to make any sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Is this meant to be a serious news site or jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabauke View Post
    Is this meant to be a serious news site or jeopardy?
    Somewhere between I should think; closer to Wired than The New York Times. Really it's a one man show with a limited audience, and good for him for keeping it going.

He probably has been told (off the record?) that some code is coming and wants to make a big TOLD YOU SO moment out of when it arrives to put pie in the face of all the ney-sayers. Trying to build it up by pulling a Gabbo.

Default Charles Babbage

Some people have the ability to think broadly and can see connections among many points, thats how scientists come to know about unknown.

works from Charles Babbage made some think today's PC is coming

The first time when I read this, I though...."Well, Michael must be got enough with Augustiner last night"
    Be cool Michael, everybody has such nights