Card with good multi monitor support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
    But the blobs of both manufacturers have both 64-bit and 32-bit by default. Ubuntu has 32-bit included for all open-source drivers except the experimental ones: Nouvean and Intel Gallium. And my card is NVidia... I can do nothing but compile it manually.
    Anyway, it's a bug and I've filed it.
    Why do you think it needs a configure script?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Well, if you want 32bit, then you need 32bit libraries. There is no way around this. Even with the blob drivers, you will note that the 64bit blob drivers come with 32bit libraries for those 32bit applications.
      The problem is not a lack of 32bit libraries. The precomiled 32bit libraries installed by gentoo are too old. They were last updated in january and it looks like evergreen acceleration came in xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 released at Feb 4.

I could compile the drivers myself or use the experimental multilib overlay but I don't have the energy to mess with that just to get google earth working.

Comment

Originally posted by tholin View Post
        The problem is not a lack of 32bit libraries. The precomiled 32bit libraries installed by gentoo are too old. They were last updated in january and it looks like evergreen acceleration came in xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 released at Feb 4.

I could compile the drivers myself or use the experimental multilib overlay but I don't have the energy to mess with that just to get google earth working.
        Wrong or missing 32bit libraries... same thing. So this is looking like its the distro's fault rather than anything inherently bad about the card or the code. Not a lot I can suggest for this besides trying a different distro or dealing with the faulty libraries yourself. Google earth will work out of the box on Radeon/Fedora.

Comment

I think Nvidia NVS450 is a very good card. It also support many monitor. I think it will solve your problem.

Comment

Heh, great to see someone with the same questions as me. My new notebook has a Nvidia GPU, and multimonitor is... Crap crap crap crap. And noveau is too unstable and lacks powermanagement, so not usable at all.

Most Radeon 5450s I have seen supports 3 outputs, although you would have to buy a displayport to vga adaptor, but they are becoming common enough now :-)

Maybe a simple enough request could be to ask the gentoo maintainer of the x86-emul package to provide an updated build, because of your reasons, which is entirely valid, I think?
            I just checked, there are 20110722 versions of the emul packages. unmask and test I guess?

Comment

Multimonitor is very hard to setup on nvidia cards using the proprietary driver, and you can only use 2 screens at the same time on nvidia.

Comment

The GeForce 8400M GS works with the newest proprietary driver which fixes some bugs, and dual-head in TwinView (not tried Xinerama) works fast. Nouveau also works fine within its limits (if you use KDE + Nouveau 3D you may want the latest Git as that fixes an important bug). Even 2nd screen setup and autodetect (which the Linux blob lacks) work fine. My card is built-in in my laptop, but there are desktop cards named 8300, 8400 and 8500 based on the same NV86 chip.

Comment

Working...
                X