View Poll Results: Do you think the new ATI driver will be....

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • A myth

3 7.32%
  • Too little, too late

15 36.59%
  • Better, but not as good as NVIDIA

10 24.39%
  • Great!

10 24.39%
  • The best option for graphics drivers

3 7.32%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

Hybrid View

Default Poll On ATI Linux Driver Possibilities

With the new fglrx driver coming out later this year, what do you think it will offer? Will it save ATI on the Linux landscape?

Share your ideas and vote in the poll.

Longtime Phoronix readers know that Michael is in contact with AMD. They know that Michael isn't lying. And they see him hyping the "new ATI Linux Driver", as he calls it, more, and more, and more in the last weeks.

Remember that.

"Great!"
    It'd better be. I just spent 150$ on an x1900XTX (against my better judgment).

Guess I trust Michael too much...

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Longtime Phoronix readers know that Michael is in contact with AMD. They know that Michael isn't lying. And they see him hyping the "new ATI Linux Driver", as he calls it, more, and more, and more in the last weeks.

Remember that.
    Oh, I know for certain that there's a new driver codebase in the works and that they're expecting to release it soon. The biggest thing I've got to ask is whether or not the thing is going to be something at least on a par with the windows driver's performance levels (And performance doesn't just mean speed, it also means correct rendering, memory consumption, etc...) or not.

Is too late, my side has completed the changes to Intel (CPU + Graphics). If there is anymore new system that we gonna purchase, it will most likely be a year or two from now.

So, for me, is too late. But then, if it does produce a better driver, maybe it will generate some excitement to some of my old boxes... Who knows?

i've already got two pci-e ati cards. one of which is pretty well supported by opensource driver (x300) . and one which is not (x1300). i really regret buying the latter - i don't use it anymore because of various fglrx issues that make using it a challenge. especially if u use a bleeding-edge like system like me (gentoo with lots of unstable scm-packages).

Michael, what did you vote ^_^?

I think it's going to be an improvment over the previous "old" driver but I don't have my hopes high just because I suspect that there will be lots of bug issues with the "new" one.

Jawbreaker would sing - "All I want is a life without parties" but all I want is smooth HD video playback on Linux and no problems with a 2nd display (smooth video playback on it as well).

Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    Michael, what did you vote ^_^?
    You'll find out later this year when the new driver comes out.

I voted too little too late. For now I'm not buying any ATI video cards. If ATI's linux support, eventually proves to be on par with Nvidia, I might change my mind then. Up untill a few months ago I was purchasing only ATI cards, but for now, I'm one of their ex-customiers.

I know we need competition (nvidia vs ati or Intel vs AMD) but, I will support the underdog only if they can provide me with what I need.
    Last edited by glussier; 08-31-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Just AIGLX. Please let me get rid of Xgl.