Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Could Be A While Before Seeing The Tamil GPU Driver Code

Default It Could Be A While Before Seeing The Tamil GPU Driver Code

Phoronix: It Could Be A While Before Seeing The Tamil GPU Driver Code

While the Tamil driver is moving along for open-source ARM Mali T-Series graphics support, it could be a while before seeing the actual source code...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Code-Open-IRC

It looks more like never instead of "a while"...

I don't know about "burning time", but why he can't raise a Kickstarter campaign, for working 1 year full-time on his driver? I will surely donate. Mali used on one of the most inexpensive and interesting boards:

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
    https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLin...ource-hardware

If he needed money, why hasn't he asked? Worked well for Werner Koch. While the audience is different, a kickstarter link here on phoronix should reach the right people.

I don't know if it's illegal in Germany though. I know here it would be, I cannot legally ask for donations even though I could use some. In last Nov I was at a funding seminar, and a lawyer from the Ministry of Finance presented there about an internal workgroup aiming to open up the donations law in Finland. It was supposed to be put to a vote in January. Guess what happened?

The politicians unanimously postponed it to the next parliament, which will get chosen in April, so no actual work till May at earliest. Whee. Not that it's guaranteed to pass anyway, but there's a lot of support, and the lawyer's opinion was that it would pass with majority support.

Default open source?

do FOSDEM let people talk about non-open source projects?

seems wrong to claim something is open source but licenses don't kick in until distribution really.

Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    do FOSDEM let people talk about non-open source projects?

seems wrong to claim something is open source but licenses don't kick in until distribution really.
    Says the guy whose claim to fame is helping to kill a proper open source driver?

Oh, and obvious troll trolling obviously?

Quote Originally Posted by libv View Post
    Oh, and obvious troll trolling obviously?
    thanks for answering the question, you should just come out and say you want money for releasing the code, instead of making up bullshit excuses.

but until you are ready to release the code you should probably stop talking about it at open source conferences, since it isn't open source until you release it.

Default Take a breath guys...

It is everybodys own priviledge to decide what code to write and when to release. I guess we all hope Luc eventually will release his source code and it will hopefully be usefull one way or the other.
    No reason to bust each others chops.

Thank you for your contributions to the open source community until now!