Page 46 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Default Last 2 versions are broken.

Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

Tested on HD5770 and...
    1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
    2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
    Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 02-05-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
    Last 2 versions of Radeon drivers are broken. Previous versions (buit before February) were just fine.

Tested on HD5770 and...
    1) Compressed textures aren't handled correctly now (or memory transfers are seriously broken). I can see textured surfaces with compressed textures are full of very specific block-based garbage. It has worked perfectly 2 releases ago though. Only February versions are broken.
    2) After some time (some seconds to ~10 minutes) of mentioned 3D loads, GPU locks up. Kernel attempts to reset it and then reset fails. System locks up so hard that even die-hard Alt-SysRq keys are gone at this point and it locks up even before anything meaningful in kernel log could be written to disk. So there are no logs with crash.

Previous versions were fine in both compressed textures handling (I use libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0) - there was no garbage. And there was no any lockups even after hours of any 3D loads.

N.B. I'm using 3.8 RC5 and RC6 kernels. They were fine with pre-February versions.
    Please report a bug against mesa if it's still an issue. See first post.

I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
    The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
    Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers.
    Last edited by bigmac; 02-13-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    I just discovered this PPA and I can't believe I wasted so many hours trying to get xorg-edgers packages to work on my Debian! This is just wonderful, I can finally use mesa 9, since I'm too lazy to build it from source!
    The only issue I have is that I can't upgrade the xserver-xorg-video-ati package since it requires xorg-video-abi-13 (or xorg-video-abi-11 for the precise serie) and xserver-xorg-core from the Debian repos only provides xorg-video-abi-12, but everything I need seems to work with xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6 from Debian (except CS Source and TF2 but I haven't searched yet if it is even possible with the free drivers).
    Sorry if this question is not related to this PPA but any idea if Radeon drivers (ver 1:7.*) from this PPA would provide any noticeable improvement compared to the Radeon drivers (ver 1:6.*)from Debian?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers.
    All the changes are here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...video-ati/log/

There are not huge changes other than removing obsoleted UMS.

Default I think most recent libdrm is busted on intel

been having major stability problems (monitor connected on VGA is very fuzzy with bad colours at X startup though DVI monitor is fine, and after 1-2hrs uptime the system starts thrashing badly) since 2/12 when the package was last updated, but they go away when I restart lightdm so I think it's an X issue. tried forcing stable versions of xorg-intel from other PPAs but that didn't do the trick; unfortunately when I try to force version of libdrm, synaptic claims I need to remove virtually every application on my system that depends on X, and I'd rather not go through that.

any word on how I can smoothly revert (I did an apt-get clean thinking I might have dpkg corruption so I don't have slightly older packages in my cache to use) or when you might have a fixed update?

Default managed to revert smoothly, but problem persists; maybe llvm is the issue?

solved synaptic issues by basically unmarking dependencies one-by-one (had to do a few of them simultaneously, e.g. wine and wine:i386, but I got it). however, the problem persists. I grabbed the debian version of llvm-3.2, as that's the only other oibaf package that updated around when I started experiencing these problems, and I couldn't find a more stable version in a ubuntu PPA. we'll see what this does...

You can revert the whole PPA, see main PPA page.

I know, but I don't necessarily want to, as the mesa packages offer major advantages over any PPA other than edgers (which currently has the same llvm, I checked), and last time I tried reverting this PPA it mistakenly pulled out a number of dependencies (including wine and skype) and created a couple hours' work for me, so I'm trying to work around it as much as possible to get stable again.

Quote Originally Posted by oibaf View Post
    Please report a bug against mesa if it's still an issue. See first post.
    Right, BUT that's exactly where I got stuck a bit...
    1) I'm not really sure if it's MESA bug or kernel parts bug. Maybe both though, i.e. one generates bad commands stream and other fails to recover from that.
    2) I can see it like this:
    - Initially graphic becomes more and more garbled in some game scenes. Textures on objects are looking like random garbage. It's some kind of error as well, but I don't know if these are directly related to lockup.
    - On some scene GPU is getting stuck, picture freezes. Kernel still alive some ~10 seconds though (responds to alt-sysrq requests).
    - Then GPU timeout expires (about 10 seconds or so). Kernel does GPU reset (kernel attempts to reset hanged GPU and recover).
    - Everything hangs. In fact deadlock is so hard that kernel haves no chances to flush disk buffers. So I lack kern.log and unable to see what kind of trouble has occured. Of course it also stops responding to die-hard alt-sysrq combos.
    (as you can guess it's futile and pointless to use gdb in this situation as well).

I found some ways to reproduce that but they're probablistic and require to spend enough time playing some game and matching dozen and half prerequisites in stateful (RPG) )game and even then it takes from minutes to hours to reproduce. I undertook dozen and half of attempts to collect at least some logs of what's going on but stull was not able to gather any data. Lockup is guaranteed and so hard that it's making it hard to gather any data at that moment. So in fact I can't provide devs with enough info about problem or give them some fast and reliable way to reproduce that. Sounds like a problem to me .

Right now I decided to try recent 3.9-rc1 kernel. It haves GPU reset reworked. So let's see if there will be lockups and if new reset code will be able to recover from these without hanging. As extra bonus I have unique chance to test new GPU reset code if this problem persists . Right now with 3.9-rc1 kernel system is still alive for some half of hour under excessive attempts to cause lockup. Graphic is moderately garbled (so there are at least some bugs left so far) but deadlock does not occurred so far. OTOH as an extra bonus I've got some rare bug in GPU reclocking code of 3.8 kernel which could also cause lockup. I guess it's worth of filing since I managed to collect at least some data.
    Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 03-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Default Valve team fortress problem

Hi

in the past, TF2 worked using mesa 9.1 on a ubuntu 12.10... but i was busy for several weeks and now when trying again TF2 crashs on finishing loading the resources (3D related crash)

i also found that Killing floor game also crashes when loading the map (again 3D crash)

Does anyone using this drivers have the same problem? or i manage to break my system

thanks
    higuita