Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Default Crash with 4870

I have a Sapphire Radeon 4870, and I get a kernel panic when X starts during the boot process when I use kernel 3.5-rc1 and 3.5-rc2. Not sure if the problem is specific to this PPA. I don't have a whole lot of info on the kernel panic as it doesn't fit entirely on the screen. If someone wants a picture or knows of a way to get the full contents of the panic, I'd be more than happy to share.

I may post some of this same info to the "Linux 3.5 Can Massively Boost AMD Radeon Graphics" thread.

Default ok without r600 LLVM compiler

Quote Originally Posted by oibaf View Post
    I reuploaded latest mesa without the r600 LLVM compiler. Please test.
    Yes, it's back to normal (correct rendering). Thanks for fast reaction ! It seems a bit early for r600 LLVM...

@hiryu : I tried 3.5-rc2 release too, hopping for the performance boost as in Michael's bencharks. Unfortunately, I got system freeze when I start any 3D application. Like you, I'm wondering if this is related to this PPA.

Note : in kernel ppa, 3.5-rc2 is marked as "quantal", so I compiled from sources using my current settings + default for new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrediou View Post
    Yes, it's back to normal (correct rendering). Thanks for fast reaction ! It seems a bit early for r600 LLVM...

@hiryu : I tried 3.5-rc2 release too, hopping for the performance boost as in Michael's bencharks. Unfortunately, I got system freeze when I start any 3D application. Like you, I'm wondering if this is related to this PPA.

Note : in kernel ppa, 3.5-rc2 is marked as "quantal", so I compiled from sources using my current settings + default for new stuff.
    i use the kernel 3,5rc2... no problems here because of the kernel and this PPA

Oibaf,

Do you have a shell script that you use to update your ppa that you would be willing to share? The mesa version on your ppa is over a month old, and I would like to try out some of the new upstream work. Due to the complexity of compiling on X86_64 under Ubuntu 12.04, I figured it would be better to ask you first rather than try to dive into writting my own script.

Thanks

Mesa is that old because out of tree builds that the debian packages uses have been broken for that long due to the build system getting changed in git.

see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50604 (among others)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvatt View Post
    Mesa is that old because out of tree builds that the debian packages uses have been broken for that long due to the build system getting changed in git.

see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50604 (among others)
    Ahh, that makes sense. I did see a series of patches from Christopher James Halse Rogers of Canonical come across my email this last Sunday that supposedly fixxes most everything but the llvmpipe stuff. Hopefully those patches will hit master soon. My Makefile foo is weak, but I might go ahead and dive in this weekend if I get the time.

see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/023726.html
    Last edited by sandain; 07-10-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Mesa doesn't properly compile now indeed. In the meantime... enjoy the Radeon 7000 support (2D with ShadowFB only).

You mean the radeon_blit.c error that appears when attempting to run certain software on those old Radeons?

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertP View Post
    You mean the radeon_blit.c error that appears when attempting to run certain software on those old Radeons?
    ?

I mean this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...07c789b8a64b92

I'm sorry, I confused Radeon HD 7000 (SI) with Radeon 7000 (R100).