Page 67 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Default 12.04 *ERROR* Invalid command stream

Hi!

I have huge rendering issuses with this PPA and ubuntu 12.04 on Radeon 4350 (discrete pci-e)
    Unity, steam and Source games are missing some/all textures.

Here is my dmesg http://paste.ubuntu.com/6218503/
    Probably kernel is too old.

Does this PPA work good with official 12.04 kernel, since PPA has support for 12.04? Do I need to get newer kernel myself (outside this PPA)?
    Might there just be some packages that I should remove?

btw: games that work, run much more faster then original.

I realized i have kernel 3.8 in my default repo. Installing 3.8 solved problems.
    (btw, doesn't have this form edit for posts?)

Default OpenGL 3.0 Ready For RadeonSI?

Hi,

First thank you for maintaining this ppa. I have a radeon 7870 (i.e. radeonsi) and I was wondering if you could update the llvm version for raring to to a more recent version (3.4 directly from git?). I would like to test if the openGL version does indeed go to 3.0 as stated in Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ1MjY) and if this fixes some of the bugs.

Thanks.

LLVM dev API changes frequently and this will cause more build breakage, so I prefer to stick to the stable one. However final 3.4 should be released next month.

Just want to say thanks for the PPA. I appreciate your work.

So far everything is running just fine~

Quote Originally Posted by mj13 View Post
    Hi,

First thank you for maintaining this ppa. I have a radeon 7870 (i.e. radeonsi) and I was wondering if you could update the llvm version for raring to to a more recent version (3.4 directly from git?). I would like to test if the openGL version does indeed go to 3.0 as stated in Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ1MjY) and if this fixes some of the bugs.

Thanks.
    I have been building oibaf's ppa packages with llvm git (from llvm git ppa) for almost a month now. In order to do that you can set up two chroot environments (one for amd64, another for i386). You need to install the build dependencies as well as the llvm-3.4 packages and libtinfo-dev (I had to install this lib manually since it was not in the build-dep), edit the debian/rules contained inside the mesa tarball from oibaf's ppa in order to change llvm-config-3.3 to llvm-config-3.4 and dpkg-buildpackage the mesa packages.

This way I am enjoying OpenGL 3.0 on radeonsi.

Well, if you are using an i386 or pure amd64 distro, then you dont need the chroot environments. In that case building the mesa source packages is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    I have been building oibaf's ppa packages with llvm git (from llvm git ppa) for almost a month now. In order to do that you can set up two chroot environments (one for amd64, another for i386). You need to install the build dependencies as well as the llvm-3.4 packages and libtinfo-dev (I had to install this lib manually since it was not in the build-dep), edit the debian/rules contained inside the mesa tarball from oibaf's ppa in order to change llvm-config-3.3 to llvm-config-3.4 and dpkg-buildpackage the mesa packages.

This way I am enjoying OpenGL 3.0 on radeonsi.
    That shouldn't be a user's job to do though. Considering it's vital to open source drivers, this is in oibaf's jurisdiction to provide updated llvm packages in the repository.

Quote Originally Posted by oibaf View Post
    LLVM dev API changes frequently and this will cause more build breakage, so I prefer to stick to the stable one. However final 3.4 should be released next month.
    I'll wait then. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    That shouldn't be a user's job to do though. Considering it's vital to open source drivers, this is in oibaf's jurisdiction to provide updated llvm packages in the repository.
    I fully agree with you. The average user shouldn't be compiling things (hey, that's why we are using ppa's! At least that's my case). I was just pointing out that if someone wants to enable OpenGL 3.0 on radeonsi, it is not that complicated as hand compiling mesa from the git tarball. You only need some debootstrap (if not using pure amd64 or i386), apt-get and dpkg-buildpackage commands, but nothing really fancy. However, and pointing in the same direction as your post, in my opinion (which, by the way, is not technical as I am neither a programmer nor a system maintainer) from the user's perspective having to rely on llvm git to have an up-to-date mesa experience and/or solve some rendering/crashing bugs is not that great. From a technical perspective, I am sure the advantages outnumber the drawbacks and, please, note that from that perspective I am not criticising that move by AMD's open source team.

In any case oibaf's work is just awesome. He beats the guys at canonical since he enabled radeonsi + glamor support quite some time ago.