Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would Be A Win For KWin In KDE

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Even when X.Org treats them and Compiz as second class citizens, both continue to be amazing. Can't wait for X.Org to die (at long last) and Wayland to prevail. At this point, X.Org is starting to hurt Linux on the desktop.
    Sometimes I read your posts and am totally convinced that you're trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    Some people are so good at it that they can do it subconsciously ;P

How's that an issue? Compiz can just take a screenshot of the window before minimizing and show that. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    How could Wayland prevailing over X.Org make a difference for KWin and Compiz (other than Wayland's compositor potentially eliminating the need for KWin and Compiz) ? The X stack and Wayland use the same drivers.
    Yep, you're right. It's the drivers that still lack some functionality. My understanding of Wayland was mostly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    I must admit that I have a tendency to focus on the negative stuff

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    How's that an issue? Compiz can just take a screenshot of the window before minimizing and show that. Problem solved.
    That's what KDE does. If you do the same on Windows though, you'll see that the thumbnail gets updated normally even when the window is minimized.

Not that I actually care about this feature though. If I want to see the window, I simply restore it first. You can't see much in a thumbnail anyway. The only issue here is the "ha, see? Linux can't do that" effect.

The only issue here is the "ha, see? Linux can't do that" effect.
    Do you think that this is a good enough reason to kill X

I say this after having read the reply of X.Org devs to the main dev of KWin, telling him that neither Compiz nor KWin are the most important users of X.Org.
    He said that StarCraft 2 is a much much more important user of Mesa/X.Org than KWin and that many people would gladly sacrifice Kwin if they could run SC2 or WoW. AAA games are one of the most important pieces of software for Linux consumers and generally for Linux success on the consumer market, not some desktop eye candy. That's the reality.

If you do the same on Windows though, you'll see that the thumbnail gets updated normally even when the window is minimized.
    Does it? I just checked on my Win7 (with Guild Wars and the Task Manager), and it doesn't.
    And it shouldn't, because I would hate to see a minimized window hogging major GPU resources just to keep a thumbnail updated.

Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    He said that StarCraft 2 is a much much more important user of Mesa/X.Org than KWin and that many people would gladly sacrifice Kwin if they could run SC2 or WoW. AAA games are one of the most important pieces of software for Linux consumers and generally for Linux success on the consumer market, not some desktop eye candy. That's the reality.
    That's actually quite sad.