Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Hybrid View

Default Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Phoronix: Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

Attachmate completed their acquisition of Novell last week and turned the assets into the Novell and SUSE business units. This morning the first signs of changes were announced when over one-hundred employees would be losing their jobs as part of the streamlining process. Later on in the day I was then to first break the news -- a rumor at the time -- via my Twitter feed that all of Mono's developers would be losing their positions...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQwMQ

What a wonderfull news! I don't wish them bad, but I wish Linux all the best, so that's why such news are wonderfull!

I wish all corporate mono pushers die from starving. please.

Wow. It smells in here. The anti-Microsoft zealots have already left their fowl stinch behind.

Are you guys for real? I, for one, liked the option of having a C# compiler on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    I, for one, liked the option of having a C# compiler on Linux.
    It's not like Mono stops being available. It's still FOSS. You can still join the team if you like Mono.

Well, while I personally would never base my business on Mono based on Microsoft's 'community promise' I always though Mono was just a good thing to have rather than not have. And while Mono hasn't exactly had a major impact on Linux software ecosystem (as likely shown by the problems in making money off Mono support), it offered a measure of platform software interoperability that will likely fade away due to these layoffs.

This is imo a great opportunity for Microsoft to pick up the development of Mono so that C#/.NET is still a viable cross platform solution, that said I doubt it will happen.

I wonder what happens to those who bought into Mono offerings such as this : http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communi...?tag=mncol;txt

Must be quite a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by XorEaxEax View Post
    This is imo a great opportunity for Microsoft to pick up the development of Mono so that C#/.NET is still a viable cross platform solution, that said I doubt it will happen.
    Why would Microsoft want it to be a viable cross platform solution? They make money on Windows, not C# compilers.

What is with these idiotic mono-hating trolls everywhere? Its just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    Wow. It smells in here. The anti-Microsoft zealots have already left their fowl stinch behind.

Are you guys for real? I, for one, liked the option of having a C# compiler on Linux.
    There were many anti-Linux and anti-KDE/Qt zealots in Novell, so I wish mono and C# will die on Linux. There are much better and ms free ways of writing a software.

i think this is the end of the M$ Zombie Mono..