Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 182

Thread: Mono Developers Go Bye-Bye From Attachmate

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Second, you say that we (the open-source world) doesn't need C#. This is inconsistent with the meaning of Free Software and by saying this, you prove that you do not support Free software at all - even though you claim you do.
    Damn I can't understand a single word of your argument here bro...

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Let's check.

    Nice playing, but stupid arguments. By supporting C# you do not support Free Software at all. The essence of FLOSS is GPL and GPL is here to not support competitiors. Using C# you do support the biggest FLOSS competitor. By using C# over Qt or other Free Software friendly languages you prove you do not support FLOSS at all.
    From wikipedia:

    "Free software, software libre or libre software is software that can be used, studied, and modified without restriction, and which can be copied and redistributed in modified or unmodified form either without restriction, or with minimal restrictions only to ensure that further recipients can also do these things and that manufacturers of consumer-facing hardware allow user modifications to their hardware."

    Mono is Free Software; it is released under FSF-approved licenses (MIT, LGPL); yet you support its demise. Ergo, you do not support Free Software.

    @Apopas: my argument is clear: you cannot claim to support Free Software but wish for the demise of Free Software projects. This is hypocritical at best.

    The essence of FLOSS is GPL and GPL is here to not support competitiors.
    The essense of the GPL is this. It explicitly promotes competition by allowing everyone interested to copy, modify and redistribute the code.

    You should at least read and understand the ideology you claim to support, lest you make a fool of yourself.

    By using C# over Qt or other Free Software friendly languages you prove you do not support FLOSS at all.
    Did you just say that Qt is a language?

    Ahahhhahaaaa, thanks, you just made my day!

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    fed up of anti-mono trolls....

    Have you ever try QT/GTK/Winforms.
    I use GTK because I have too to be integrated in gnome but GTK is far more complicated and less designed than Winforms.

    I play a lot with mono/banshee/monotorrent/... and mono/.Net Framework is well designed.
    All company are here to make money even open source one... Remember the MySQL story... or sun for sooner one...
    And Nokia CEO is an old one from MS. He have choose WP7 for his phone.so what? Do we need to stop to work with QT now ? of course no

    The important for a project is not which company is behind the project because it can change (be bought...) but what community is behind and which licence does it use.
    mono is under open source licence.
    About patent, you can code in C# without patent. The patent are on winforms and ADO.NET part of framework.
    And both part are not used by different project related to mono on linux (banshee/tomboy/...). It is just maintain to get windows application compatible to Linux that's all...

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dufoli View Post
    Have you ever try QT/GTK/Winforms.
    I use GTK because I have too to be integrated in gnome but GTK is far more complicated and less designed than Winforms.
    I cannot speak for GTK, but Qt and QWidgets are way better than anything in .NET Forms at least.
    Just the single fact that .NET Forms has next to no layout support at all makes it unusable for me.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Actually, I should probably come clean. I haven't really used C# since 2.0. I recently discovered that C# 3.0 has this neat little thing:

    Extension Methods

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Znurre View Post
    Just the single fact that .NET Forms has next to no layout support at all makes it unusable for me.
    WinForms has all sorts of layout options. Just because you *can* drag controls about a form freestyle doesn't mean there aren't layout options, amateurs just tend to ignore them.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Znurre View Post
    I cannot speak for GTK, but Qt and QWidgets are way better than anything in .NET Forms at least.
    Just the single fact that .NET Forms has next to no layout support at all makes it unusable for me.
    WinForms suck. They are the offshoot of the MFC of old which, surprise, also sucks. No layout support, atrocious DPI independence etc etc.

    WPF is pretty good but platform-specific, so it's not an option. Same for MonoMac. GTK# is good on Gnome but sucks everywhere else. wxWidgets.Net sucks and the Qt bindings for .Net are of questionable quality (but development has picked up and they may be usable now!)

    In other words, if you are writing GUIs on C# you'll have to go through some pain. Application logic ports and runs perfectly but GUIs are a little problematic (Mono suggests writing a three platform-specific GUIs for best results).

    Qt/C++ is pretty nice but C++ for application logic is just icky.

    That said

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    WinForms has all sorts of layout options. Just because you *can* drag controls about a form freestyle doesn't mean there aren't layout options, amateurs just tend to ignore them.
    Oh, you call Dock, Anchor, FlowLayoutPanel, TableLayoutPanel and SplitContainer good layout options?
    Imo. they are all horrible to work with compared to anything in Qt, or even Swing.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    WinForms suck. They are the offshoot of the MFC of old which, surprise, also sucks. No layout support, atrocious DPI independence etc etc.

    WPF is pretty good but platform-specific, so it's not an option. Same for MonoMac. GTK# is good on Gnome but sucks everywhere else. wxWidgets.Net sucks and the Qt bindings for .Net are of questionable quality (but development has picked up and they may be usable now!)

    In other words, if you are writing GUIs on C# you'll have to go through some pain. Application logic ports and runs perfectly but GUIs are a little problematic (Mono suggests writing a three platform-specific GUIs for best results).

    Qt/C++ is pretty nice but C++ for application logic is just icky.

    That said
    I agree 100% with you.
    For non-GUI applications, C# and .NET is really nice to work with, except for IO (imo. all IO classes in .NET are rather clumsy).
    But when it comes to actual GUI development, it really sucks.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    Actually, I should probably come clean. I haven't really used C# since 2.0. I recently discovered that C# 3.0 has this neat little thing:

    Extension Methods
    Extension methods are good but have you seen System.Linq? That's where the real magic lies:
    Code:
    var trolls =
        from poster in thread.Posters
        where poster.IsTroll
        select poster;
    foreach (var troll in trolls)
        troll.ReturnTo(bridge);
    Add in joins, ordering, filtering and you can handle queries that would normal take >10 lines of code in just a few lines.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •