Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD: Accelerating Open-Source Drivers?

Default AMD: Accelerating Open-Source Drivers?

Phoronix: AMD: Accelerating Open-Source Drivers?

So far today at Phoronix we've published the AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview, ATI R300/400 Linux Performance, ATI R500 Linux Performance, and ATI Radeon HD 2900XT Linux Performance -- yet, it's only ten minutes past midnight! However, looking at AMD's official statement on the Linux driver, there is a rather interesting sentence about good things to come...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10977

Can't wait !

Keep up the good work Phoronix guy(s?) !

Hey guys,

You can help by Digging this (if you have a Digg account and only if you think it's Digg-worthy).

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Breakthro...0_Times_Faster

It seems like it'll make it into the front page.

Thanks!

Roy

I just hope when the code is released, it's in a form that can be easily be integrated with current open source drivers. The recent work being done on AVIVO and the ati open source drivers is very good.

Default Could AMD be about to release R300/400 specs?

That's the obvious inference, if AMD would rather concentrate on the R500/600 chips these days. I am assuming that R300/400 is purely "legacy" hardware now.

Default hooray for ATI

there is now a chance that i will purchase an ATI/AMD video card.

i have always preffered AMD and I have wanted to purchase ATI since the acquisition, but found myself totally unable to do so in the face of awful linux drivers.

i know the hardware is equivalent to that of nVidia, so with the driver issue out of the way i may well be tempted to buy ATI vid-cards in future.

I am assuming that R300/400 is purely "legacy" hardware now.
    it will be legacy when more people will have r600/r500 than r300/r400. currently it's far from it.

AMD's efforts are indeed focused on the R600 (and R500) series.

Default I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    AMD's efforts are indeed focused on the R600 (and R500) series.
    So it would make good business-sense for AMD to offload the on-going driver support for any R300/400 based hardware to the Open Source community, and then delete that support from the shiny, new fglrx code-base?

it's nice that you guys know.

But i feel like a horse running after a carret suspended 10 feet ahead from a fishing pole.

It would be epic if it's an opensource hardware accelerated 3D driver, but then again, maybe we will just get 7 more slides about the release train ...

I'm just impatient, have struggled quite a bit... currently have no 3D on xorg 7.3.. and even building it against my current kernel is a challenge. o and that control pannel has a nice feature of segfaulting

But if I would have to make a wish list:
    - opensource (i'm not too fanatic on this one, but would be brilliant, no more binary patching away watermarks or other crashes)
    - aiglx support
    - performance improvement
    - when loading display the text "rolz is great" in big golden letters instead of logo's

I'd say there allowed to drop one of those, and i would still be happy
    Last edited by rolz; 09-05-2007 at 08:51 AM.