Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where for art thou Nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you ask me, NVIDIA's Nalu is still better than ATI's Ruby. Though at least Ruby is an open-source girl
    Speaking of which, it would be nice if either or both companies released one (or all ) of their technical demos for Linux too

Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Speaking of which, it would be nice if either or both companies released one (or all ) of their technical demos for Linux too
    OMG, one hour ago I exactly thought about the same thing Many of these techdemos are written in OpenGL, even the newer ones, so it would be possible.

I know at least nVidia uses OpenGL on many of their tech demos (I'm not so sure about AMD-ATI). Most prominently I remember the demos for NV15-20 (the marching toys demo and the Werewolf demo, dunno if the Squid demo was in OpenGL) were in OpenGL. I believe the Nalu and Dawn/Dusk demos were Direct3D, though, showcasing Shader Model 3.0 and 2.0 technology (respectively), but then again, I could be wrong.

Edit

I don't know if the Humus Demos available for Linux could be considered official ATI tech demos for Linux, since he has been working for ATI (or at least I believe so) for some now... Hopefully AMD still employs him.

Edit 2

Seems he left AMD on 03-Sept... To develop games... How interesting.
    Last edited by Thetargos; 09-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Hahaha!! Just tried to run the Glow demo from Humus on my nVidia setup and got this:

Code:
     ./Glow-32 
    [Missing extensions]
    The following required OpenGL extensions are supported:

GL_ARB_vertex_program
    GL_ARB_fragment_program

Too bad, these required OpenGL extensions aren't supported by the graphic card and driver you're using:

GLX_ATI_render_texture

This application will now exit.
    Gave a good laugh! Seems that after all, you can still do some "localized" demos in OpenGL for Linux for a particular hardware platform! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post

vs.

If you ask me, I prefer the first
    If I had to pick between those two, I would have to say the first also.

But I gotta say Luna is my pick, the demo Nvidia has got of her to showcase HDR is sweet