Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD To Support Coreboot On All Future CPUs

Default AMD To Support Coreboot On All Future CPUs

Phoronix: AMD To Support Coreboot On All Future CPUs

Here's one non-UDS announcement hitting the web right now that's also very significant for open-source and Linux: Advanced Micro Devices has announced today they will support Coreboot on all future processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQyMQ

Yay! No more boring featureless BIOSes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Yay! No more boring featureless BIOSes!
    yay instantboot into linux

can someone outline potential benefits to this????

i've read the wiki and the coreboot page and fail to see any benefits as a "typical" user

While great in general, I still doubt there will be support for consumer boards. Would love to be wrong on this.

@89c51

Much faster boot, as said above

Also in terms of consumers how is this better than uefi? After all is coreboot still a BIOS with all the inherent limitations like long hardware initialisation times and antiquated hardware support?

So in the not-so-distant future I might have a truly open system on my computer.
    Thanks AMD, I'll be sticking with your products!

Saying this with hopes to have this support for consumer parts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by _txf_ View Post
    Also in terms of consumers how is this better than uefi? After all is coreboot still a BIOS with all the inherent limitations like long hardware initialisation times and antiquated hardware support?
    EFI is in practise nothing more than a layer on top of the BIOS. Even Apple still uses a BIOS with some soft of EFI hooks. Ask MacOSx86 project if you don't believe me.

The problem with this BIOS crap is not that it is a BIOS but that it is encrypted (DRM) and it takes hella long before a modern mainboard even reaches the post screen >.<

Quote Originally Posted by _txf_ View Post
    It's not a BIOS, and it only probes the minimum necessary needed to run linux. There's an old video of a three second boot from power to X using coreboot.

that's awesome, best news i've read so far this month.

i tried to get change to coreboot but a: it's tricky business and b: my board has 1 bios chip and it's non-swap-able. a couple of guys on the coreboot IRC were really helpful but now it's not the $time$ to go frying a motherboard willy-nilly.