Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Microsoft Is Buying Out Skype

Quote Originally Posted by »John« View Post
    Jingle is a peer-to-peer extension to the XMPP, so the server feature set should be completely irrelevant and everything should simply be a matter of what the clients can do. That is assuming that I grok this correctly.
    I remember seeing some place a XMPP server feature list for various XMPP servers, and so I think the server has to be aware of certain kinds of things at the very least. Sure, video and voice calls are negotiated and occur directly between the two clients, the connections being established via ICE apparently, but the XMPP server still apparently aids in those connections being established is my guess anyway, and may even be what informs the users if the other's client is capable of video or voice calls. Of course, the XMPP server needs to be capable of dealing with IMs especially when it needs to store off-line messages for instance. Ultimately it would be great for clients to communicate directly with each other without the need for any centralised server unless needed/wanted, but I doubt Google would throw money into something that removes service-based companies such as themselves completely from the picture.

Exclamation This is confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    I remember seeing some place a XMPP server feature list for various XMPP servers, and so I think the server has to be aware of certain kinds of things at the very least. Sure, video and voice calls are negotiated and occur directly between the two clients, the connections being established via ICE apparently, but the XMPP server still apparently aids in those connections being established is my guess anyway, and may even be what informs the users if the other's client is capable of video or voice calls.
    There. Wasn't even hard to find. Now I'm completely confused. Maybe one of these documents can shed some light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by »John« View Post
    There. Wasn't even hard to find. Now I'm completely confused. Maybe one of these documents can shed some light on this.
    To make things even more confusing, many of those extensions have been obsoleted, too. That list really needs to be cleaned up and updated. That was actually not the feature comparison list I mentioned, it was much simpler.

Skype acquisition commentary. He nailed it.
    http://brooksreview.net/2011/05/ballmer/