Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Radeon 9000 (R200 Series) and Xorg 7.2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default Radeon 9000 (R200 Series) and Xorg 7.2

    Since the only ATI drivers that support Xorg 7.2 (thus supporting openSUSE 10.2) do not support the Radeon 9000, anyone with these boards cannot use these recent OS versions.

    I know we can use the opensource driver, but I like very much to connect my computer to the TV, and the opensource drivers do not allow that. (or is there any way to do it with the open-source drivers?)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    115

    Default

    http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ is supposed to take care of this, if I recall correctly.

  3. #3

    Default

    colo is correct in that the Gatos SF project should be able to handle your needs. Unfortunately, the only way for the R200 series to work with the fglrx drivers on X.Org 7.2 would be ATI issuing a new legacy driver. The R200 series code remains in a development branch, so technically they still have the ability to release such an update - though that's not to say they will.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Well, it seems that Gatos might provide what I need, but having to recompile the driver... Then if some update happens, I might have to recompile again...it is a lot of hassle, but if it is the only way to work I will give it a shot.

    Another issue is that in http://megahurts.dk/rune/tv_output.html it seems that there are only patches available for Xorg <= 7.0.

    I will wait some time to see if ATI releases a new driver, and meanwhile I will do some experiments with a test laptop (and keep mine with SUSE 10.1)

  5. #5

    Default

    I can try to get an answer for the community about ATI Legacy drivers for X 7.2.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I can try to get an answer for the community about ATI Legacy drivers for X 7.2.
    That would be really great, specially if you get a positive answer

  7. #7

    Default

    Well, don't look for a AMD legacy driver update for the R200 series and X.Org 7.2 anytime soon... Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well, don't look for a AMD legacy driver update for the R200 series and X.Org 7.2 anytime soon... Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.
    Well, given ATI's history it was expected. Thanks for the info.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcostelha View Post
    Since the only ATI drivers that support Xorg 7.2 (thus supporting openSUSE 10.2) do not support the Radeon 9000, anyone with these boards cannot use these recent OS versions.

    I know we can use the opensource driver, but I like very much to connect my computer to the TV, and the opensource drivers do not allow that. (or is there any way to do it with the open-source drivers?)

    Xorg 7.2 should support that card with 3d acceleration natively. I was using an Ubuntu 6.10 derivative distro and my 9200 worked fine with 3d acceleration.

    It is pretty good but not as good as the ati drivers. The 9000 seems to be among the best performing without having to recompile drm though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    98

    Default

    The gatos stuff should have been merged into Xorg already so you should be good. The info on the gatos site regarding ati.2 should give you the options you need to get TV out working. Sorry I forgot to mention this in my previous post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •