Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 327

Thread: AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormking View Post
    If the codebase is new, how comes that there are exact the same bugs in it?
    Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new, but the X bits may very well be pretty much the same. Fact is, we don't and can't know for sure.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default buildpkg Fedora/F7

    from root:
    ./ati..... --buildpkg Fedora/F7

    then install all the rpms

    then correctly change the xorg.conf:

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "single head configuration"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AIGLX" "off"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "it"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option "SHMConfig" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection


    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection


    And then restart, and .... no graphical boot

    And obviously suspend don't work, when I try to suspend the system hang for 20 sec and then return on my desktop.

    Compliments to ATI, new code, AH!AH!AH!AH!AH! Are they joking with us.

    And now I switch another time to radeon driver, that aren't super (no good 3D perf, compiz-fusion works but freeze sometimes due to graph card perf, but good and fast 2D perf, graph boot and suspend/resume works

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoenny View Post
    output! what's wrong?
    Code:
    RPM build errors:
        File not found by glob: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1-21724-hoenny/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1.f7-root-hoenny/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*
        Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
       /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.v21651
    Shit, okay, that's a bug in the RPM SPEC file for x86_64 that I overlooked in the packaging script. You can correct it in the packages/Fedora/ SPEC file by adding the line for fglrx_dri.so or by deleting the fglrx_dri.so file after extracting it... I can release new packaging scripts here shortly. fglrx_dri.so was replaced in 8.41 as a dummy file late in the cycle.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    and my games crash, and I can't see the performance improvments, but sorry.... I see a performance improvment my 3D screensaver works fast, yeah!!! a screensaver work, I repeat a screensaver not a stupid game

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new, but the X bits may very well be pretty much the same. Fact is, we don't and can't know for sure.
    I thought so. I even expected it. But I still had hope.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybore View Post
    and my games crash, and I can't see the performance improvments, but sorry.... I see a performance improvment my 3D screensaver works fast, yeah!!! a screensaver work, I repeat a screensaver not a stupid game

    obviously is a joke (I must specify it because you are Anglo-Saxon)

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new,
    I'm quite sure the only thing really new is the OpenGL part of the driver, the lowlevel bits (kernel module) and 2D Xorg don't appear to have changed much.

    Well, it's a start! Maybe now after fixing the most urgent stuff they can finally work on the other parts of the driver.
    What annoys me about it is that I cannot change the display brightness via fn-f9/f10. I have to switch to a text console, change it, and the switch back to X.

    (BTW, I have fixed the problem I mentioned earlier, I had forgotten to unload the "drm" module...)

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormking View Post
    I thought so. I even expected it. But I still had hope.
    Well, at least they've rolled out the new code-base, which is the important fact here... From what little I have been able to learn in the past week or so (ever since I got off the ATI loop) is that there are still limited resources for driver development, and they have been maintaining two code bases up until this release. It would have been nice if the team could be split into a low-level team and an X11 specific team, but if the [human] resources are scarce, they (I believe) focused on the most important parts (at the time): The core of the driver, the low-level code for better optimization. Now hopefully X11 issues will get fixed and I particularly hope that they don't get fixed one at a time!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Well, at least they've rolled out the new code-base, which is the important fact here... From what little I have been able to learn in the past week or so (ever since I got off the ATI loop) is that there are still limited resources for driver development, and they have been maintaining two code bases up until this release. It would have been nice if the team could be split into a low-level team and an X11 specific team, but if the [human] resources are scarce, they (I believe) focused on the most important parts (at the time): The core of the driver, the low-level code for better optimization. Now hopefully X11 issues will get fixed and I particularly hope that they don't get fixed one at a time!
    the [human] resources are scarce?????


    I have paid for this notebook and this card video ATI

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    899

    Default

    I find it funny that I'm "defending" the developers of the ATI driver, when I in fact use nVidia , but I once was a very frustrated user and had my hopes squashed with every new driver release... Still I hope AMD-ATI will get the drivers right so that there would actually be competition in Linux (at last!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •