Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Hiring Open-Source Graphics Developers Still

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    The mythical year of the Linux Desktop?

I have a feeling that both AMD and Intel are doing it for the same reasons.

Google just get ready for an Multi-Billion-Dollar-$$$$$ Invasion on the Market to hurt Micro$oft for an final beating dead.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Intel and AMD hiring lots of developers to work on open source projects... what the hell is going on? Is there something big coming that we don't know about?
    Microsoft is porting Windows to ARM and expect SOCs running Windows 8 in a short while. This means that:
    -Intel is not friend with MS anymore, also because of Meamo;
    -Microsoft is pressured because there are so many Linux devices nowadays that AMD and Intel are starting to see that it's a new Silicon Valley aera.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    they only set this bit because they do not found any in local area.
    AMD has never really had a formal requirement that our open source developers be based out of an office. I've worked remotely for years now. Some people prefer an office, others prefer remote work. I only mentioned it because it was somewhat unclear from the job post.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    AMD has never really had a formal requirement that our open source developers be based out of an office. I've worked remotely for years now. Some people prefer an office, others prefer remote work. I only mentioned it because it was somewhat unclear from the job post.
    fine on that way your team will find a helping hand.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Microsoft is porting Windows to ARM and expect SOCs running Windows 8 in a short while. This means that:
    -Intel is not friend with MS anymore, also because of Meamo;
    -Microsoft is pressured because there are so many Linux devices nowadays that AMD and Intel are starting to see that it's a new Silicon Valley aera.
    "Intel is not friend with MS anymore"

you get it ;-) and the best part is... google ask intel : "intel why are you so crappy on linux thats force us to use ARM..."

For those wondering about Marek, Tom, and I: Tom and I are still in school. I don't know about Marek but I seem to remember he is also a student.

Quote Originally Posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    For those wondering about Marek, Tom, and I: Tom and I are still in school. I don't know about Marek but I seem to remember he is also a student.
    school can wait

users demanding FOSS drivers cannot

quit NOW

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    school can wait

users demanding FOSS drivers cannot

quit NOW
    I currently work for OSUOSL, so I am not exactly inactive in the community. I also write lots of free-time things; examine Bravo, Darklight, Lye, etc. from my personal stash for some examples.

Oh, and don't encourage students to drop out; it sends the wrong message, namely "I am a twit who cannot understand why people sometimes want to pursue long-term personal improvement over short-term monetary gain."

Quote Originally Posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
    Oh, and don't encourage students to drop out; it sends the wrong message, namely "I am a twit who cannot understand why people sometimes want to pursue long-term personal improvement over short-term monetary gain."
    it was a joke

Can anyone please explain this to me?
    Why would AMD want to pay people to develop two separate drivers?

If they don't want their driver open-source why invest in it at all and not tell people to use Catalyst?

If the do want to have an awesome open source driver why not just release the code of Catalyst and have one driver to maintain?

Isn't it just not profitable for them to develop 2 pieces of software to accomplish the same task?