Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 122

Thread: AMD's Hiring Open-Source Graphics Developers Still

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Deanjo? No I'm just the way I am
    Laptop: HD5470
    Desktop: 5770 and 3300 onboard.
    Why not 5850? Slow drivers? Or you don't need the performance? If latter, no wonder opensource suits you. You don't even have to put 8Gb of RAM then, 640k would be enough for anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Wasted? Am I not getting the same FPS as you in Kwin? I buy my PC with overkill so that I can use it for a looooooong time up to the point it starts to seriously stutters due to new software being calculation intensive. In the end I save money. Also... do I 'waste' my 8GB RAM simply because I don't full it up? (pretty stupid to do so IMHO)
    Pretty stupid you bought 8GB if you don't use it. But if you buy, it should kinda work, no? But it can only with AMD closed source driver and this worser than nvidia. You see my point?


    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Well guess what? It's better than Intel and nVidia's lack of ANY FUCKING DOCUMENTATION. Happier to have none? What is your logic? That of emotion?
    Just USE THAT TON OF DOCUMENTATION TO BUILD YOUR BOAT ALREADY. Cause green-eyed package comes with ready boat.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I will now upgrade you to triple moron for trying to prove facts wrong by the fact stating popular opinion.
    Yeah, I'm Commander Keen, I know it, I'm MOrooned on Mars.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Neither can't I, but UVD isn't required if you have even a remotely desent CPU that is no problem. So what's this giant show stopper? I also can't use Display Port and HDMI, because my monitor doesn't support it. So fucking what? I also not use the audio card on that Radeon because I don't use HDMI for audio. So what? Am I supposed to buy an HDMI monitor with speakers because else I would waste my card? How freaking retarted is that? Do you also cry when you waste three seats in your car because you can only sit on one? :')
    Why the hell would you buy a car with three sits, if you use only one? Oh, because the driver actually drivers at 1/3 speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    There is a Linux download option? Hello? Official support? Linux logo on the box? ... Well?
    Well, bridgeman refused that. But nvidia - same, so lets start our company.


    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Seriously... what did you expect? You have this multi trillion gazillion dollar company that is going to change its own business strategy... just for you? LOL!
    I thought the company should adapt the strategy just for you(and me). You know, just the garbage they put in econimical books. But its so damn big and ignorant to change THEIR OWN busy-ness strategy, no place for opensource. Y'right.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Normal guys browse the web, email and type some documents. What card on earth is not capable of accelerating a supporting compiziting desktop with free soft-... oh wait your nVidia card, I forgot. Sorry man...
    Its not MY nvidia card, its nvidia card - I lease it. So do you with "your" AMD card. But the difference is that nvidia card supports linux more than amd both drivers combined, and this for years. Thats troubling. And the trouble won't change so fast, very possibly never for opensource driver. Talk about busy-ness strategy.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    First, people bitch about no opennes about open source. Then AMD is open about their strategy. No people bitch about the fact that AMD has opened up documentation (or not fully due to DRM at their own legal risk, just for us nutjobs) and now people bitch that the proprietary driver is useful, they have four guys working on a FLOSS driver and have enough documentation for OpenGL 2.1?!?!? Schizofrenic behavior...
    OpenGL 2 Supertuxkart utilizes over 80% GPU with opensource drivers. Go figure, mr nutjob. I prefer to position myself as linux user instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Me comprendo. Me also showy you proprietary AMDyo driverio. Working, da?
    Working, no. Crashing, da. You showy me opensource AMDyo - freezing and crashing da.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    yet another thread devolved into AMD bashing, and attempting to ignore the faults of nvidia drivers.
    AMD & nivida blobs are about on par, if you don't include the video acceleration. Each have faults, just in different areas.
    nvidia can not stand up to the open source drivers from AMD when viewed from the point of out of the box experience, and proper integration into an open and free software environment. If wayland takes off (which I have my own doubts about, so this is just an example), the open source drivers will work best for that.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Why not 5850? Slow drivers? Or you don't need the performance? If latter, no wonder opensource suits you. You don't even have to put 8Gb of RAM then, 640k would be enough for anyone.
    RAM is cheap? RAM > CPU. Now 4GB is already the standard. In two years you can bet your ass it is 8GB (the double) and thus I made the right configuration. My computer can easily do ten years before crumbling under the weight of newer software. So by buying a 1000 dollar PC I avoid having to do an upgrade every three years. 1000/10=100 euro's a year. 100*3 years=300 dollar. For 300 dollar you can't buy a reasonable computer.

    As for the AMD card: as time goes by, performance of the 3D driver goes up. That means I'm pretty much in the clear as well.

    Pretty stupid you bought 8GB if you don't use it. But if you buy, it should kinda work, no? But it can only with AMD closed source driver and this worser than nvidia. You see my point?
    60 dollars at that time for never having to use swap in ten years. You see the point?

    Why the hell would you buy a car with three sits, if you use only one? Oh, because the driver actually drivers at 1/3 speed.
    Yes it is slower. Your point?

    Its not MY nvidia card, its nvidia card - I lease it. So do you with "your" AMD card. But the difference is that nvidia card supports linux more than amd both drivers combined, and this for years. Thats troubling. And the trouble won't change so fast, very possibly never for opensource driver. Talk about busy-ness strategy.
    I lease my card? I bought it. EULA? -> GPL. LOL you failed very hard Given that you morooned to Mars I am not going to upgrade you now

    OpenGL 2 Supertuxkart utilizes over 80% GPU with opensource drivers. Go figure, mr nutjob. I prefer to position myself as linux user instead.
    Errrr Tomb Raider Anniversary (look up the release date and graphics) manage to run at 30fps with very nice graphics under Wine. Sometimes there is a very tiny shader texture somewhere that is not updated but that's so rare that I don't care.

    Working, no. Crashing, da. You showy me opensource AMDyo - freezing and crashing da.
    I'll make a screencast if you want, showing it is perfectly working. Tell me how to make it crash so I can prove my point that it doesn't.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    yet another thread devolved into AMD bashing, and attempting to ignore the faults of nvidia drivers.
    AMD & nivida blobs are about on par, if you don't include the video acceleration. Each have faults, just in different areas.
    nvidia can not stand up to the open source drivers from AMD when viewed from the point of out of the box experience, and proper integration into an open and free software environment. If wayland takes off (which I have my own doubts about, so this is just an example), the open source drivers will work best for that.
    Yet another useless post? Seriously, this isn't kindergarden and internet is full of garbage like from "gtxrxx"(or how that nvidia-guy called himself?) and microsoft-lover "thatguy".
    Anything I mentioned was unappliable to amd?
    What are the faults of nvidia drivers, except SLI, multimonitor and root-started Xorg? Catalyst has all them plus more(which is understandable due to pre-2009 complete lack of linux attention from ATI).

    You can just forget all your pro's of amd opensource drivers, because its not driver but a development program. A driver is supposed to "drive" the hardware efficiently. This is accomplished by catalyst, made by then ati, now amd. Same with nvidia. The only reason for state of opensource driver is because it is not considered as a driver FROM AMD by amd. It is technology demonstration, educational model, student pile. Anything, but a driver. Same as linux kernel was at its roots. But linux became what it is only due to attention and patches from corporate entities, by far not only free hackers. AMD should not view opensource driver as opencore method to angle new ideas, but view it as additional force to its existing crew - this is only possible with opensource.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Yet another useless post? Seriously, this isn't kindergarden and internet is full of garbage like from "gtxrxx"(or how that nvidia-guy called himself?) and microsoft-lover "thatguy".
    Anything I mentioned was unappliable to amd?
    What are the faults of nvidia drivers, except SLI, multimonitor and root-started Xorg? Catalyst has all them plus more(which is understandable due to pre-2009 complete lack of linux attention from ATI).

    You can just forget all your pro's of amd opensource drivers, because its not driver but a development program. A driver is supposed to "drive" the hardware efficiently. This is accomplished by catalyst, made by then ati, now amd. Same with nvidia. The only reason for state of opensource driver is because it is not considered as a driver FROM AMD by amd. It is technology demonstration, educational model, student pile. Anything, but a driver. Same as linux kernel was at its roots. But linux became what it is only due to attention and patches from corporate entities, by far not only free hackers. AMD should not view opensource driver as opencore method to angle new ideas, but view it as additional force to its existing crew - this is only possible with opensource.
    Strange comment considering that I see lots of "amd drivers are bad" without actually stating what is supposedly bad.
    Also interesting in your rather...poor...view of free hackers (which do an awful lot more than you seem to think). And by the way - one of those corporations that has made quite an investment into Linux was, and is, AMD.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    RAM is cheap? RAM > CPU. Now 4GB is already the standard. In two years you can bet your ass it is 8GB (the double) and thus I made the right configuration. My computer can easily do ten years before crumbling under the weight of newer software. So by buying a 1000 dollar PC I avoid having to do an upgrade every three years. 1000/10=100 euro's a year. 100*3 years=300 dollar. For 300 dollar you can't buy a reasonable computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    60 dollars at that time for never having to use swap in ten years. You see the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Yes it is slower. Your point?
    Your logic has some fails. First, the real bottleneck is hard disk. The NANDs are very low quality and very high price/performance now, so there is currently no ways to cut costs. My 10 year old athlon 3200 with 1gb of ram was sufficient over whole period, quad cores inclusive.

    But it wasn't the point of discussion.

    The point is, if we project the current AMD opensource driver state to RAM chips(thanks to von Neumann we don't need a driver for them) , you would have 2GiBs free out of 8GiBs installed. You invest 60 dollars and have 15 dollar effect. Consuming whole as-if "60 dollar" electricity. Producing as-if "60-dollar" heat. Delivering as-if "60 dollar" features. Thanks only to driver. Which AMD writes happily for windows for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    As for the AMD card: as time goes by, performance of the 3D driver goes up. That means I'm pretty much in the clear as well.
    Not always the case. Low-end cards exist even now, and they cannot beat 10 year old hi-end cards. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I lease my card? I bought it. EULA? -> GPL. LOL you failed very hard Given that you morooned to Mars I am not going to upgrade you now
    You lease your card, if its something new to you. The hardware is not covered by GPL, but belongs to AMD/Nvidia. You bought the ability to use your card only.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Errrr Tomb Raider Anniversary (look up the release date and graphics) manage to run at 30fps with very nice graphics under Wine. Sometimes there is a very tiny shader texture somewhere that is not updated but that's so rare that I don't care.
    I don't have the game, but every time I used Supertuxcard the bottleneck was CPU. Where on nvidia blob the bottleneck was GPU, CPU idled.


    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I'll make a screencast if you want, showing it is perfectly working. Tell me how to make it crash so I can prove my point that it doesn't.
    I don't need your screencast, I used git versions of opensource driver (et al components, libdrm, kernel, mesa etc) with 4770 for more than a year and I had kernel panics, low performance and low features. Hence I use nvidia now.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    Strange comment considering that I see lots of "amd drivers are bad" without actually stating what is supposedly bad.
    Just compare opensource driver to nvidia blob or even catalyst.

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    Also interesting in your rather...poor...view of free hackers (which do an awful lot more than you seem to think). And by the way - one of those corporations that has made quite an investment into Linux was, and is, AMD.
    Poor view of free hackers stating themself that nvidia blob currently has the best graphic implementation on linux from all? Poor company, not hackers. Ideally you have hackers hacking new features and not doing company job.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Just compare opensource driver to nvidia blob or even catalyst.

    Poor view of free hackers stating themself that nvidia blob currently has the best graphic implementation on linux from all? Poor company, not hackers. Ideally you have hackers hacking new features and not doing company job.
    I think that was already done earlier in the thread. Not seeing anything bad there, unless you mean lack of features. The open source drivers are not intended to compete with the blob, by the way, but rather are supposed to focus on areas that the blobs dont/can't. I see none of this as bad. Working driver is generally good actually.
    You'll have to back that statement up too.
    Also, the company (and I assume you're referring to AMD) is doing its job - catalyst drivers. They're complementing it with the open source stuff, and indeed are doing more than was asked of them. But if you're going to whinge that AMD should do more with the open source graphics drivers, you have to be downright hateful of nvidia for doing absolutely nothing to help open source graphics.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    But if you're going to whinge that AMD should do more with the open source graphics drivers, you have to be downright hateful of nvidia for doing absolutely nothing to help open source graphics.
    Believe me, I am.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Just compare opensource driver to nvidia blob or even catalyst.
    I do that daily and prefer the OSS driver. That's because stability and usability is more important to me than raw FPS and advanced features that no software under Linux can leverage.

    You are living in ancient history. The OSS drivers are quite good nowadays. If 95% of the functionality is not enough for you, then by all means use something else, but don't mislead people with your escapades how nothing works. Things work very well. I've just finished Prey, and I'm going to replay Quake4, using open drivers. You can continue telling me how it doesn't work, I'll keep using them.

    Good luck changing resolution or hotplugging monitors using your nvidia card. As long as something is not needed for Windows, you don't get it in your "linux" driver either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •