Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Hiring Open-Source Graphics Developers Still

Default Why?

Why not in Moscow? It was my dream - to develop an open 3D drivers. I'm sad!

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    what are you waiting for mr bridgman

get your whip out and get them started asap
    The problem with hiring experienced people is that they are already doing something important that needs to be finished or handed off smoothly before they leave. At least we don't have to wait for them to finish their thesis and graduate

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    on a serious note i want to ask if there are any agreements with Ms or Apple that prohibit open sourcing drivers used for mac os x and win (apart from licensed and DRM stuff).

ie lets say a new company appears and wants to use g3d across all OSs will it be able to do it or there will be trouble with something like that.
    There is no general prohibition as far as I know, just (a) you need to protected licensed code (which can be pretty pervasive) and (b) you need to maintain robust DRM which often means protecting non-obvious things like memory management.

Building and shipping fully functional Windows drivers over Gallium3D should be possible, but you would probably have to ship in binary form. If you omit DRM support then it gets a lot easier.

It is the ultimate geek job, because it touches:
    -Math
    -OS kernel
    -Compiler design
    -Graphics
    -Exotic execution unit
    -Audio (that sound card for HDMI)
    -Etc. ...

Especialy late work times given the time zone in the EU, meaning not having to get up early and sleep early...

I'm jealous of the people who get these jobs ,

With this crazy hardware that's so easy to lock up and lacking any form of proper recovery mechanism this sounds more like a headache job to me.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It is the ultimate geek job
    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    this sounds more like a headache job to me.
    It's both

With this crazy hardware that's so easy to lock up and lacking any form of proper recovery mechanism this sounds more like a headache job to me.
    Geeks do not have headache they only have microbleeding because of ASS Aspirin

Yyyyyeeeessssss................ but.........

I do not know what other peoples thoughts are but I find it is the challenge that makes the task. You also need great determination and much patience as some bugs (most?) can be a REAL bear to find.

Also there is little better on this planet than designing something and then getting it to work. Something that is more difficult than most people think.

Blacksmith

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Something that is more difficult than most people think.
    Blacksmith
    amd really try to make it easier they go from 2 kind of shader cores from the hd5870 to an 1 kind of shader model 6950,,

i think this makes it much easier.

i also think the hd7000 class cards will be 6950 1 kind of shader... and the hd8000 cards will have a much more easier hardware.

they maybe go from 4 shader per group into 1 shader per group like nvidia..

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The problem with hiring experienced people is that they are already doing something important that needs to be finished or handed off smoothly before they leave. At least we don't have to wait for them to finish their thesis and graduate

There is no general prohibition as far as I know, just (a) you need to protected licensed code (which can be pretty pervasive) and (b) you need to maintain robust DRM which often means protecting non-obvious things like memory management.

Building and shipping fully functional Windows drivers over Gallium3D should be possible, but you would probably have to ship in binary form. If you omit DRM support then it gets a lot easier.
    I don't think you can make an argument that anyone needs DRM or that it actually works. If you need to corrupt the legal system in order to protect the DRM that supposedly protects (but technically doesn't) your content,you've already lost. (I wish I could buy some Senators to impose my will on everybody via fiat law). *grin*

The best way to deal with DRM is to not buy anything that uses it. Of course Not buying or using is the same as piracy now apparently.

No matter how "effective" AMD's (or anyone's) DRM is, there's always someone smarter who will break it. Keep perverting our system of law and wasting transistors on my graphics card I guess. :P

Oh yeah. Why would anyone want to use Gallium3d on Microsoft Vistaware? The entire system is a black box that treats the user like a criminal. Telling a Windows user that AMD Catalyst is crap and not to be trusted would be like telling an AIDS patient they need to worry about dandruff.