Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Hiring Open-Source Graphics Developers Still

Oh yeah. Why would anyone want to use Gallium3d on Microsoft Vistaware?
    There was a very good reason to port linux drivers to windows with the Voodoo 3 (I think it was that card). No official support anymore, and they were more stable and faster

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    There was a very good reason to port linux drivers to windows with the Voodoo 3 (I think it was that card). No official support anymore, and they were more stable and faster
    People even made a Doom3 hack for these cards. Even a Windows 98 cracked executable. I don't understand that with the availability of $25 cards and a Linux port. Must have been diehard fanboys?

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    People even made a Doom3 hack for these cards. Even a Windows 98 cracked executable. I don't understand that with the availability of $25 cards and a Linux port. Must have been diehard fanboys?
    Or wards of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Oh yeah. Why would anyone want to use Gallium3d on Microsoft Vistaware? The entire system is a black box that treats the user like a criminal. Telling a Windows user that AMD Catalyst is crap and not to be trusted would be like telling an AIDS patient they need to worry about dandruff.
    LOOOOOOOOL... (no not like a criminal because using windows is a criminal)

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    -Intel is not friend with MS anymore, also because of Meamo;
    Well truth be known that MS has never been a real "friend" with intel. You just have to take a look at what 64-bit standard they chose, or how intel forced MS to drop the system requirements to have their products "Vista Capable" to see that (both items that really pissed off intel at the time).

Just got nvidia gtx 260 sp 216 / 1792mb of g'ram.
    Your opendrivers are weak, your closed source drivers are weak, your marketing is strong. Rock on AMD.

It really depends on what you're using it for.

I have a GTX 460 at work with binary drivers, and an HD4550 with open drivers at home. For regular desktop usage, AMD wins hands down. 2d is faster, desktop effects are smoother. That's quite impressive considering the difference between the cards.

For gaming and hi-performance 3d, there's obviously no comparison. The AMD open drivers work perfectly, but are slow.

A lot of this nvidia fanboyism is based on 4-year old experiences and perpetuated myths.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    It really depends on what you're using it for.

I have a GTX 460 at work with binary drivers, and an HD4550 with open drivers at home. For regular desktop usage, AMD wins hands down. 2d is faster, desktop effects are smoother. That's quite impressive considering the difference between the cards.

For gaming and hi-performance 3d, there's obviously no comparison. The AMD open drivers work perfectly, but are slow.

A lot of this nvidia fanboyism is based on 4-year old experiences and perpetuated myths.
    Faster 2d and kms root-less xorg is the only positive thing about R700 opensource.

What do you use your home machine for? Videoaccel - absent, 3d - slow and unstable, no hope for advanced features that are in catalyst - opensource is destined to low-end. Well, gtx 260 and 460 are not low-end cards.

Everywhere else nvidia wins hands down. Because their drivers is not programmed by bunch of semi-external developers and army of students, but paid inhouse developers. You buy card and they do drivers - same as on windows that amd actively polishes for free.

2 year 9800, 1 year 4770 and now back to 260 gtx. Desktop effects are smoother than on 4770, if you throw some options into xorg.conf.d

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    What do you use your home machine for?
    Internet, music, watching movies, programming, occasional casual gaming.

The OSS drivers are great for all but the last one, where they are OK.

Hardware acceleration for 1080 would be nice, I agree, but my machine has no problem doing it on the CPU, so it's not a big deal.

Now that the drivers are not bleeding-edge-experimental anymore, I find them easier to upgrade too. Getting the Nvidia drivers installed on Debian was quite painful, and I couldn't boot half of the time.

There is no argument when it comes to pure 3d performance, but when OK 3d performance is good enough, the AMD OSS drivers are better, hands down. Plus look at the cool stuff that's coming relatively soon: OpenGL 3, Hyper-Z, video decoding. And it's all open.

If people are willing to use a huge black box for added performance, it's up to them, but I don't agree with the meme that the AMD OSS drivers are not good. They are very much excellent, but unoptimised.

I also don't know what you find unstable about the drivers. This will also depend on your hardware, but I get as many crashes with the nvidia binary as I do with the AMD OSS drivers -- that is: very few.