Thread: Btrfs Support For Ubuntu's Update Manager

Default Btrfs Support For Ubuntu's Update Manager

Phoronix: Btrfs Support For Ubuntu's Update Manager

Eventually we will see Ubuntu Linux deploy Btrfs as the default file-system. While we will likely not see the switch from EXT4 to Btrfs with Ubuntu 11.10, there is work underway on Btrfs integration support into Ubuntu's Update Manager...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQzNw

this is just awesome news.

go butter !

Great news! Anyone know if there's any release schedule yet for btrfs on RedHat Enterprise Linux?

Default Buggy FS

There's some strange bug with dpkg that makes BTRFS a horrible failure on Linux systems using it. It takes for freaking ever doing system updates and installing software if you choose a BTRFS FS. See bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/601299

I'm only waiting for an fsck tool to use btrfs. It is important to have just in case, even if the fs is never supposed to need it. Snapshots are cute, but I'm really more interested in the other features, such as compression, SSD mode, online defrag, object mirror/stripping, space efficiency, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    I'm only waiting for an fsck tool to use btrfs. It is important to have just in case, even if the fs is never supposed to need it. Snapshots are cute, but I'm really more interested in the other features, such as compression, SSD mode, online defrag, object mirror/stripping, space efficiency, etc.
    The way I understood it, BTRFS was supposed to duplicate all data of a volume in the background until I'm assuming more than 50% of that volume was used, then you'd no longer have that data redundancy there. In any case, it's supposed to be a safer place to keep your data than the other FSes, so that's my main interest, though the built-in RAID and other features are definitely awesome.