Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    It seems so. Can you provite a screenshot of it rendered with Opera?
    Yup, in opera it renders fine (as well as Chrome)


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Yup, in opera it renders fine (as well as Chrome)

    Looks the same in ff 3.6.17

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    Looks the same in ff 3.6.17
    I should have been more specific, in FF 4 it seems to quit loading at this point:



    Another odd thing that seems to happen is that you can't seem to retrieve the site with wget in linux but you can retrieve it with wget in windows or OS X. A buddy of mine has been trying to figure out what is up with that site for the last couple of days and the issue only seems to happen on linux boxes. Wget stalls out @ 37% on linux machines.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    980

    Default

    @pingufunkybeat

    I didn't say Firefox and Eclipse were GTK+ based. I said that on Linux they have a dependency on GTK+. Because of the underlying toolkit using GTK+ on Linux. There might als be a motif backend to SWT, but I don't think any Linux distro actually has it setup that way.

    Also the gnome equivalent for make xconfig is make gconfig, no Qt dependencies needed.

    As regard to VLC, you gotta be kidding me. This must be one of the worst media players on Linux, the GUI is absolutely atrocious and the rendering pipeline for hardware accelerated video playback is just plain stupid. Ask Kano, he will tell you

    The only reason why VLC gained some sort of popularity is because people using Microsoft Windows used to have problems playing back some content distributed on the Internet with the default Windows Media Player, so they were recommended to use VLC. I don't know if this is still the case for Windows but on Linux there's no such problem, except of course for drm protected content. But VLC won't help you there.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    As regard to VLC, you gotta be kidding me. This must be one of the worst media players on Linux, the GUI is absolutely atrocious and the rendering pipeline for hardware accelerated video playback is just plain stupid. Ask Kano, he will tell you
    I disagree with the GUI comment. To me VLC offers one of the best GUI's. To me it is absolutely stupid to have to rely on config file hacking or search for an out of app panel just to tweak and adjust playback settings and configuration like you have to do in so many other linux players.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Also the gnome equivalent for make xconfig is make gconfig, no Qt dependencies needed.
    Oh, cool, didn't know that. I use oldconfig and menuconfig anyway

    As regard to VLC, you gotta be kidding me. This must be one of the worst media players on Linux, the GUI is absolutely atrocious and the rendering pipeline for hardware accelerated video playback is just plain stupid. Ask Kano, he will tell you
    Can you name a better Linux multimedia player with a GUI? Smplayer is better, but also Qt-based.

    Don't say Totem, because I'll laugh at you

    I'm an Mplayer user for most things, but i've actually found VLC to be more reliable with DVD playback and some messed-up streams.

    There is also no comparable alternative to K3b.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,734

    Default

    @deanjo

    Can't access the site at all from here, geo restriction on their end maybe.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    @deanjo

    Can't access the site at all from here, geo restriction on their end maybe.
    I don't know, it seems to be the same no matter the location. I have tried accessing the site even from some of my overseas servers and the ones in the States as well. They all seem to be the same. Like I said however other browsers work fine as does FF in OS X and Windows. It is a peculiar issue.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    364

    Default

    "The site" loads for a second for me, then hangs (the image doesn't finish loading, and anything that was not finished loading before the image stopped loading doesn't finish loading). Also, the menus on the bottom aren't aligned properly when opened.

    Chromium 12.0.718.0

    (P.S. I don't really care whether it's Gtk or Qt based; Gtk is fairly easy to code for, but Qt has some cool apps, Qt is/are working on some cool under-the-hood stuff, but then so is Gtk, so I think they both have their up sides)

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    1
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Do you Like BEAR ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •