Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wine 1.3.20 Has Arrived

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,321

    Default Wine 1.3.20 Has Arrived

    Phoronix: Wine 1.3.20 Has Arrived

    Wine 1.3.20 has been released as the latest bi-weekly Wine development snapshot...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ0NQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    What do you mean it's not as exciting?.. Mouse clipping support! That finally solves the input problem! That means UT3 and countless other Unreal Engine games now work on Linux through Wine perfectly!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    What do you mean it's not as exciting?.. Mouse clipping support! That finally solves the input problem! That means UT3 and countless other Unreal Engine games now work on Linux through Wine perfectly!
    [rant]
    Hint: Michael doesn't really have a clue since he apparently ignores each of my remarks that what he talks about as "Direct3D" improvements aren't really D3D improvements and thus not exciting at all (for anyone who knows how to configure Wine properly).
    [/rant]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default In fact, this Wine release is more important than Direct3D improvements

    Wine 1.3.20 fixes mouse clipping issues, which generally means that it should be now unnecessary to set MouseWarpOverride registry key to "force". I've been waiting about 4 years for this. I checked Project Nomads as soon as I updated Wine this morning. Mouse now works BOTH in menu and in game, which effectively makes it another Platinum game. Same should be about Crysis, Unreal Engine games and plenty of others.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    429

    Default One man's fix... WoW's mouse is now broken

    Quote Originally Posted by Reloaded211 View Post
    Wine 1.3.20 fixes mouse clipping issues...
    Ironically, the mouse support in World of Warcraft is broken in 1.3.20. About 3 days ago, the mouse started clicking a point several inches to the left of the cursor?! (Using Wine from git.)

    I tried rotating the in-game "camera" angle using the mouse this morning, but was flung into a (seemingly) random direction instead. So it's back to 1.3.18 for me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
    About 3 days ago, the mouse started clicking a point several inches to the left of the cursor?! (Using Wine from git.)
    For me, selecting multiple units in Warcraft 3 was broken with previous release, but now it works as expected. Fingers crossed that it will stay that way

    That's just the way it is - along with improvements inevitably comes regressions which in turn will be corrected someday.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Torrington, Ct. USA
    Posts
    157

    Default

    While 1.3.20 does seem to fix the mouse issues in some games it's created new issues with The Witcher (Aurora Engine) and apparently some Source Engine games (I can only attest to The Witcher personally). It makes the mouse "jump" in The Witcher so when you rotate the camera it will sometimes jump back to a previous position probably as the pointer is clipping back to the center of the screen. Seeing as that's the game I'm currently playing I reverted back to 1.3.19 for the time being.

    Still I'm happy with progress being made in this area and these types of little regressions were bound to happen along the way. I'm confident that the wine folks are close to finally putting this mouse clipping issue that's been plaguing us for so long to rest.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,518

    Default

    And now Bug 6971 is officially marked as fixed! Well, I'm not going back to Windows any time soon, it seems

    And yes, there is the jumping pointer issue, but it's a different bug altogether.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirdilznik View Post
    While 1.3.20 does seem to fix the mouse issues in some games it's created new issues with The Witcher (Aurora Engine) and apparently some Source Engine games (I can only attest to The Witcher personally). It makes the mouse "jump" in The Witcher so when you rotate the camera it will sometimes jump back to a previous position probably as the pointer is clipping back to the center of the screen. Seeing as that's the game I'm currently playing I reverted back to 1.3.19 for the time being.
    The Witcher works fine when set to virtual desktop mode. Also likely works properly if "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" is enabled (when using full screen mode)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Actually, as always with WINE, it's still a case of winners and losers...

    WINE 1.3.20 breaks a lot of games. The latest WINE Git master fixes some of the issues. For example Crysis now runs (with only the memory leak patch), SWAT 4 runs OK but Deus Ex 1 (which used to run fine) doesn't... Apparently the root of the problem is something to do with the X-Server API.

    It's frustrating because the mouse input problem has been hanging around for years!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •