Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Ubuntu Studio Doesn't Like Unity Or GNOME Shell

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    If you prefer Gnome2 then I think there is some irony in that statement.
    no he switch to KDE... ...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    no he switch to KDE... ...
    Ah, the original poster had reverted to Gnome "Classic," got confused.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel, Tel-Avil
    Posts
    68

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by locovaca View Post
    If you prefer Gnome2 then I think there is some irony in that statement.
    What irony?
    I prefer the Gnome 2 UI.
    Since its outdated, I don't use it anymore.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    178

    Default AWN eh?

    FYI Avant Window Navigator works well in Gnome Shell...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    339

    Default What you could do is use the Ubuntu Customization Kit - UCK

    What you could do is use the Ubuntu Customization Kit (UCK) to create your preferred distribution. I've practiced this method for the past year.

    Just some pointers.

    * Copy your /var/cache/apt directory to the same path in the directory it creates in your home directory for a quicker experience. ie. sudo cp -v -R /var/cache/apt ./thedirectory/

    * Use your native language only and discard the rest.

    * Include LXDE and the suite it uses among gnome.

    * Include Lilo just in case

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel, Tel-Avil
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    What you could do is use the Ubuntu Customization Kit (UCK) to create your preferred distribution. I've practiced this method for the past year.

    Just some pointers.

    * Copy your /var/cache/apt directory to the same path in the directory it creates in your home directory for a quicker experience. ie. sudo cp -v -R /var/cache/apt ./thedirectory/

    * Use your native language only and discard the rest.

    * Include LXDE and the suite it uses among gnome.

    * Include Lilo just in case
    Why?
    My ubuntu customization kit (which I use, but with KDE) is the apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.
    (And btw, I kept all GTK applications and use the ones I feel are better that KDEs)

    And now I want to show an explanation why we need to ditch Gnome:



    1. We don't use windows, despite the fact that is quite stable and usable, because we want to have more control over out PC and open source makes that easier.
    Its is possible to customize windows as well if you are determined enough (you can find/write alternative file managers, alternative desktops, like http://www.sharpenviro.com . You can even run most Linux apps on windows.
    Even though its closed source, if you want it badly enough, you can reverse engeener the importaint part and replace other. Sure open-source makes that much easier.


    1. We don't use Gnome, despite the fact that is quite stable and usable, because we want to have more control over out PC and plenty of desktop settings makes that easier.
    Its is possible to customize Gnome/Ubuntu as well if you are determined enough (you can find/write alternative file managers, alternative panels, like Avant,
    Even though Gnome lacks the settings, if you want it badly enough, using its source and hidden settings you can customze it, but sure its easier to do in KDE.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Some of this thread reads like a new car ad.

    "I was happy with my old Pontiac Grand Prix but sense the company no longer exist I'll need to trade up for a Ford Focus."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
    It is worse, because gnome3 g-shell doesn't work with compiz and instead replaces it.
    That gives both disadvantages (stability) of running 3D apps, and no advantages of beautiful and usable compiz interface.

    And before you say that 'beautiful' is 'eye candy', I'll tell you. that 'eye candy' sells.
    Until ubuntu devs grok that, no users will switch to it.

    Look how much money vendors put to make their devices look nice and pretty.
    This is good IMO. Compiz is a mess. On every machine I have used gnome 3 on mutter is far faster, smoother, and more stable than compiz. Compiz has more customization but thats it. On my ati and intel machines (on the ati machine I've used both catalyst and oss drivers) compiz has various performance issues and visual bugs, gnome 3 does not.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel, Tel-Avil
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    This is good IMO. Compiz is a mess. On every machine I have used gnome 3 on mutter is far faster, smoother, and more stable than compiz. Compiz has more customization but thats it. On my ati and intel machines (on the ati machine I've used both catalyst and oss drivers) compiz has various performance issues and visual bugs, gnome 3 does not.
    And that is guaranteed to be due to bad OpenGL drivers.
    Compiz (at least 0.8 - 0.9 has some bugs) really doesn't have any visual bugs, and preformance issues. Heck on my nvidia 8400M GS using nouveau, it gives me around 100FPS on default pref level, and absolutely no slow downs. In fact, while using compiz system feels faster because compiz uses 3D engine more that X that relies mostly on remains of 2D engine.

    I also have i965 system, and compiz is running superb there.
    (In very distinct past - like pre modesettings days, compiz did work bad there, but today its fast and glitch free).

    And I also have i945 system (a netbook) - compiz works superb there as well.

    So its really graphic drivers and different parts that are touched by compiz and mutter.
    Heck, on nouveau kwin is dead slow, so sure it sucks, except that it doesn't, it just triggers some less optimized path or something like that.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
    And that is guaranteed to be due to bad OpenGL drivers.
    Compiz (at least 0.8 - 0.9 has some bugs) really doesn't have any visual bugs, and preformance issues. Heck on my nvidia 8400M GS using nouveau, it gives me around 100FPS on default pref level, and absolutely no slow downs. In fact, while using compiz system feels faster because compiz uses 3D engine more that X that relies mostly on remains of 2D engine.

    I also have i965 system, and compiz is running superb there.
    (In very distinct past - like pre modesettings days, compiz did work bad there, but today its fast and glitch free).

    And I also have i945 system (a netbook) - compiz works superb there as well.

    So its really graphic drivers and different parts that are touched by compiz and mutter.
    Heck, on nouveau kwin is dead slow, so sure it sucks, except that it doesn't, it just triggers some less optimized path or something like that.
    It may possibly just an issue with ubuntu's version of compiz, but on my machines I noticed there seems to be a delay when it comes to how fast new windows open, and the minimize animations sometimes lag a bit. I think its something to do with the animations plugin. The "minimize effect" plugin doesn't seem to be in ubuntu anymore but using that instead of animations always made compiz way smoother to me, opening windows especially seemed way faster and the minimize effect rarely lagged. For me the best version of compiz was 0.8.4. I used it recently when I tried linux mint debian and it seemed so much more responsive than recent versions of compiz. For me mutter just seems more reliable than compiz ever did.

    On my ati card specifically I have this awful issue with newer versions of compiz where if I enable smooth scrolling in any program its horribly laggy, I didn't have this issue in the older version of compiz in LMDE though, and didn't have it with mutter.

    I may have been exaggerating when it comes to how much "lag" there is, theres really not that much, its perfectly usable, but I have high expectations of how smooth the composited desktop should be. I've never had these types of problems with aero or windows for example. I've never seen an animation lag or anything with that, and compiz never really reached that standard for me.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •