Thread: A Tiny Wayland Compositor Emulates Four Displays

Default A Tiny Wayland Compositor Emulates Four Displays

Phoronix: A Tiny Wayland Compositor Emulates Four Displays

One of the Clutter tool-kit developers has announced a tiny Wayland compositor that was written and it provides support for multiple display emulation. This Wayland compositor is capable of emulating four displays and for now basically serves as a technical example...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ2OA

I've always wondered: why doesn't Linux use the open source X server from Apple? Or does Apple use the same one as Linux? Or am I totally mistaken?

woah this is awesome! i'm pretty excited for wayland to be released, i just hope it won't hinder development for proprietary device drivers. other than MPX, i don't really have much of a reason to stick with xserver.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    I've always wondered: why doesn't Linux use the open source X server from Apple? Or does Apple use the same one as Linux? Or am I totally mistaken?
    apple does use the same xserver as far as i'm aware, except they usually use considerably older releases, probably for stability.

Yeah, they use Xorg for programs which aren't designed specifically for OS X (i.e. they don't use OS X's native display...toolkit?), and it is a bit older than you'd be used to on, say, Ubuntu; I understand they might be using a more recent version in the next release of OS X, but it still won't be the latest. On the other hand, "native" OS X applications don't even use Xorg; they use Quartz (which Wayland is similar to, in some ways)

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    Mac OS X ships with the same X server - xorg. The current version in 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is based on xorg-server 1.4.2, although you can download a version based on 1.10.1 from the XQuartz dev site. That is the version that will probably ship with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

I haven't actually seen any applications that use it (apart from xeyes and so on that are bundled with it, and gimp years ago before GTK was ported to native Carbon/Cocoa). I only use it when I tunnel apps from Linux machines over SSH.

X.org X Windows is divided up into two major portions:
    http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Do...ation/Glossary
    DDX - Device Dependent X

DDX: Device Dependent X. The part of X that interacts with the hardware. There have been many of these over the years:xfree86, kdrive, xwin (for Windows), darwin (for OS X), xgl, vfb, xnest, and so forth. In the X server code, each directory under hw corresponds to one DDX. One DDX may have one or more device drivers. In the xfree86 DDX, each driver is a separate loadable module; in most of the other DDXes, each driver is compiled to its own server binary. Contrast: DIX.
    DIX - Device Independent X

DIX: Device Independent X. The part of X that interacts with clients and implements software rendering. Basically everything in the server except for the hw/ directory. The event delivery is part of the DIX.

The DDX that Linux uses is called XFree.
    The DDX that OS X uses is called Darwin (for the Darwin OS) or Xquartz (I don't know, but it's one or the other)
    The DDX that Windows (can) use is called XWin

XNest is a DDX. The Kdrive DDX, XGL DDX, Xephyr DDX. Wayland will have a DDX also.

It's all based on the same code base, but the DDX is the 'hardware' specific part.