Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: OpenGL ES For KWin In KDE SC 4.7 Is Taking Shape

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,599

    Default OpenGL ES For KWin In KDE SC 4.7 Is Taking Shape

    Phoronix: OpenGL ES For KWin In KDE SC 4.7 Is Taking Shape

    There's just about two months left until the release of KDE SC 4.6, but Martin Grä�lin and other KDE developers have already begun thinking about and working on code for KDE Software Compilation 4.7 [granted, there are already people talking about KDE5 and KDE6] that is still eight months away. In particular, Martin has some prominent KWin compositing manager changes for the 4.7 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODgwNQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    125

    Default

    There are also discussions about shipping the upcoming kdelibs-mobile as part of MeeGo's Core OS package. See http://chani.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/meeeeeeeego/
    If that happens, chances are KWin may even become the default MeeGo Handset window manager (AFAIK it's currently Matchbox which is said be be total crap)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    If that happens, chances are KWin may even become the default MeeGo Handset window manager (AFAIK it's currently Matchbox which is said be be total crap)
    The all knowing and never wrong magic 8-ball says "It is decidedly so".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    Interesting times for KDE. After discussing phonon-vlc over the last months, it now seems KDE distributions (Kubuntu) are deciding to go with Gstreamer (still through Phonon, of course). Anything is better than phonon-xine really. Also Kubuntu 11.04 will move away from the X11 Qt graphicssystem to raster, as raster is a lot faster and even sebas kinda recommends it now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    What is raster?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Interesting times for KDE. After discussing phonon-vlc over the last months, it now seems KDE distributions (Kubuntu) are deciding to go with Gstreamer (still through Phonon, of course).
    Really? Is it just Kubuntu defaulting to the existing gstreamer backend for phonon or is there actually renewed developer interest in phonon-gstreamer now that Qt/Nokia is using gstreamer for Qtmultimedia?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    What is raster?
    The Qt software-renderer which doesn't take advantage of any 2d-acceleration the OS provides (EXA, XRender, ...) but still manages to be faster.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    The Qt software-renderer which doesn't take advantage of any 2d-acceleration the OS provides (EXA, XRender, ...) but still manages to be faster.
    Lol? And Wayland's a bad idea?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OpenGL ES For KWin In KDE SC 4.7 Is Taking Shape

    There's just about two months left until the release of KDE SC 4.6, but Martin Grä�lin and other KDE developers have already begun thinking about and working on code for KDE Software Compilation 4.7 [granted, there are already people talking about KDE5 and KDE6] that is still eight months away. In particular, Martin has some prominent KWin compositing manager changes for the 4.7 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODgwNQ
    Great news.
    Soon it'll be nearly as advanced as Clutter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Lol? And Wayland's a bad idea?
    Raster is for widgets only. The window manager/compositor is hardware accelerated.

    But still, it's funny enough. Pretty much a punch in the face for X.Org; a software renderer that outperforms X.Org's hardware acceleration

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •