Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Hybrid View

Default Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Phoronix: Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Fedora 15 has just been released! Fedora 15 is the first major Linux distribution shipping with the GNOME 3.0 Shell by default, and as usual, has a host of other Linux innovations...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ3OA

This is my first exposure to Gnome 3.

I was pissed off enough back when they tried the whole "spatial" thing a few years back, but this, this takes the cake.

I need to spend some more time to see if I'm missing something (I don't think I am), but after 20 minutes, I can't stand it!

It seems like it takes between two and three times as many interactions (motions/clicks) to do pretty much everything! Launching apps, switching apps, switching desktops, this all takes longer. And WHY? How does a piece of software doubling the time required to complete the main activities it's responsible for not count as complete FAIL? Do I really have to move all the way top left and then all the way right to switch desktops? How is having one screen with a mountain of app icons all lumped together possibly better than organized in menus??

I switched to the fallback mode, installed and used the tweak tool to bring back the Nautilus desktop, but I still can't arrange my panels. I have years (Linux since 1993) of muscle memory I don't /want/ to overcome. I /was/ relatively happy with my desktop, but they couldn't just leave it alone. I think I might have to switch to KDE (now that QT is LGPL and KDE isn't evil, I would at least consider it).

I don't think I'm gonna be alone here. Let the rebellion begin! I think this will be the start of a Gnome death spiral.

Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.

Default Looking Bright

Man, GNOME 3, systemd, btrfs... it's like the future, but now. Fedora 15 and the sunny weather outside are making this season a happy one.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.
    Personally, I think its more the other way around.

I actually don't dislike unity, but think its still very unpolished and immature. I find Gnome shell to be very fast and polished.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    I actually don't dislike unity, but think its still very unpolished and immature. I find Gnome shell to be very fast and polished.
    Yep. Unity is bolted onto Gnome 2.x and it shows.

I wasn't a big fan of Gnome Shell at first but after trialing many of the Fedora test days for Gnome 3 I've grown to really like it. Sure it has some quirks. Personally I think the workspace switcher is ugly.

After learning some of the shortcuts (and there are many, google around) it's quite nice and I much prefer it over 2.x

Pretty smooth so far, except that gnome-shell seems to happily eat CPU cycles in proportion to the rate of pixels being updated on the screen (a large glxgears window running at 60fps is enough to make it try to eat a whole core, while glxgears itself is under 1%). I assume the compositor is hitting a fallback (default radeon/gallium driver with RV620), but it's annoying either way.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity
    Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.
    You are very misinformed. It's one thing to say that you don't like it or disagree with it, but it's another thing to say that there is no basis around their decisions. If you subscribe to their mailing list you will see plenty of discussion justifying a lot of things and links here and there about usability studies and so on.