Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux 3.0 Kernel May Remove Some Old Cruft

Hybrid View

Default Linux 3.0 Kernel May Remove Some Old Cruft

Phoronix: Linux 3.0 Kernel May Remove Some Old Cruft

The discussion surrounding Linus Torvalds' proposal to end the Linux 2.6 kernel series and continue on as the Linux 3.0 kernel has continued on since it began less than 24 hours ago. The reaction has largely been positive and supportive of this proposed change. Of the few objections, some see no reason to mess around with the versioning, but now there may be a reason for this change: to drop the old cruft that's been living in the kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ3OQ

Michael, any chance we can get some links to the sources without having to fumble through several other Phoronix posts to get to them? Cheers.

P.S. It would be amazing if external links were a different colour, like blue or something!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazade View Post
    Michael, any chance we can get some links to the sources without having to fumble through several other Phoronix posts to get to them? Cheers.

P.S. It would be amazing if external links were a different colour, like blue or something!
    Agree completely. The Phoronix page-juicing, link maze is horrible.

Default Aha, the source

Alan Cox's email on LKML here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/24/320

Quote Originally Posted by oliw View Post
    Agree completely. The Phoronix page-juicing, link maze is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    I completely agree.

I think Phoronix should have a "News Wiki" where internal citation and external citation become ONE. That way citation becomes simple and we're more likely to trust in what we're reading.

Problem is, some kind of site map would have to be created in order for it to work effectively. I bet that keeping track of all those links must get complex.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    That's because of the driver model that makes IDE/SATA drives appear like SCSI devices
    That would have to be the most frustrating part of the current Kernel. It drives me mad that SCSI is somehow related to SATA and without it the OS fails to boot. Grr... Why the hell they didn't fix that some time ago has me confuddled.

So I can't wait for that spring clean. Linus has long complained about bloat in the Kernel and it might do some good to remove a couple of hundred thousand lines of code.
    Last edited by b15hop; 05-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.

I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    I completely agree.
    What's that stuff Ralph Baechle is saying about hardware refusing to die? Let that old cruft/zombie undead junk run on the "old" 2.6 kernel. No need to propagate that junk until the end of time.

Another interesting perspective is that Linux can lead hardware changes. Especially when it comes to servers -- if Linux won't support crufty old junk, then hardware makers won't keep including that crufty old junk. At least not in server hardware.

It sure does sound like a great idea to move really old drivers to an "obsolete" area where they'll at some point be completely removed from the tree down the road as most really old systems that use such drivers like ISA, EISA or MCA for example are not quite as prevalent nowadays. "Oddball" drivers that only support one or two odd devices that aren't in much use any longer should be also be considered for removal. With such cleaning then the tree'll be leaner and quicker to build not to mention making it easier for maintenance.

Linux 3.0 should be a new start so perhaps this is the time for kernel devs/driver maintainers to look into doing an overhaul of the kernel tree and removing the cruft that has built up over 20 years of Linux kernel development.

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    What's that stuff Ralph Baechle is saying about hardware refusing to die? Let that old cruft/zombie undead junk run on the "old" 2.6 kernel. No need to propagate that junk until the end of time.

Another interesting perspective is that Linux can lead hardware changes. Especially when it comes to servers -- if Linux won't support crufty old junk, then hardware makers won't keep including that crufty old junk. At least not in server hardware.
    Ditto...like Windows has dropped support for some old hardware its time for Linux to follow suit

I don't agree with his reasoning. 3.0 shouldn't have any special features just because it's 3.0, if they did that it'd turn out to be like 2.5.

If he wants to drop the old drivers, he should wait until 3.1 instead of rushing it through the merge window for 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    I don't agree with his reasoning. 3.0 shouldn't have any special features just because it's 3.0, if they did that it'd turn out to be like 2.5.

If he wants to drop the old drivers, he should wait until 3.1 instead of rushing it through the merge window for 3.0
    Did you read the proposal? https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/24/338
    -- 2.8 to mark the beginning of the housecleaning.
    -- 3.0 to mark the completion.

2.8 would be a short lived transitional kernel.