Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Is Fedora 15 Faster Than Ubuntu 11.04?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    106

    Talking

    fedora 15 & 14 with a hvr2200 can display two windows of tv hd with vlc
    ubuntu 11 did one tv and was not able to open a second . after that first time vlc was not able to display even 1 tv .
    from the original install of both os , i copied the file NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw in the lib folder and created an options file in the etc/modprobe.d folder with options saa7164 card=4 in it .
    long ago , ubuntu 9 was perfect with an hvr1100 out of the box with tvtime

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes, defaults. Can do some SELinux benchmarks separately if there's interest.
    It will be great.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    424

    Default

    The conclusion is [REDACTED]. (just kidding)

    If you read carefully, the conclusion is on the last page...at the very top, even.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    As far as the disk performance discrepancy goes - did you test with SELinux enabled or disabled, on Fedora?

    edit: you say 'out of the box', so I assume 'enabled'; it might be interesting to try with it disabled. Also it'd be interesting to know if you kept the OS default partitioning scheme (in which case the Fedora install would likely have an LVM layer the Ubuntu one would not.)
    Good points. It would be interesting to see how much SELinux and LVM affect performance.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes, defaults. Can do some SELinux benchmarks separately if there's interest.
    That would be nice. Maybe include AppArmor in those tests as well, although that doesn't use special filesystem labels, but it should decrease application performance as well.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Michael,

    One severe short coming of this test is that it used only CPUs from intel. There are architectural differences between intel and AMD cpus that could effect performance and power consumption differently.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
    Michael,

    One severe short coming of this test is that it used only CPUs from intel. There are architectural differences between intel and AMD cpus that could effect performance and power consumption differently.
    Right, but blame AMD for not sending out CPUs to Phoronix...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Right, but blame AMD for not sending out CPUs to Phoronix...
    But as these tests were done with laptops its not like you swap out the CPUs in them anyway. I don't think intel sends you whole laptops do they?

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscene_CNN View Post
    But as these tests were done with laptops its not like you swap out the CPUs in them anyway. I don't think intel sends you whole laptops do they?
    I just got a Sandy Bridge laptop from Intel last week as a Software Development Platform to use for driver testing...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    148

    Default

    It doesn't matter if Ubuntu 11.04 is faster, Fedora 15 is just better and the Shell goes a long way to do prove that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •