Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Default How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Phoronix: How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Last week there was the news post about whether AMD is open-sourcing something next week (this week), which turns out to be based upon a Twitter comment I had made. A discussion about AMD possibly open-sourcing something had ensued, including comments by AMD's John Bridman, where he had said nothing was basically planned. Interestingly though, the initial open-source Llano APU support was just published...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTUwNw

You better listen when Qaridarium announces the Steam client for Linux.

Re: news: excellent work again! Being an AMD Fusion (E-350) user myself, I feel this is the future!

Qs psychic abilities never cease to amaze me :P If he could just get his James Bond over to the uvd stuff so that we can get the specs for that .

OK, feeling better for that.

Thanks anyhow to AMD for pushing, once again, some fresh code and specs to help the xorg developers along.
    Last edited by Welsh Dwarf; 05-31-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixing capitalisation

Neat, this sounds very promising.

Off topic: "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD is open-sourcing something next week (this week)" - Shouldn't it be "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD was open-sourcing something the week after"?

I just random the dices .... Llano support is nice... but my dices tell me other stuff?

Whats wrong with my dices? My cubes told me more than that can be.

I don't think my random dices are wrong true my cubes maybe need more time for the other stuff and so I throw it again and again and they just show me every time the same... there is more of that stuff!

Maybe Bridgman should buy me new dices i believe he broke my old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Neat, this sounds very promising.

Off topic: "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD is open-sourcing something next week (this week)" - Shouldn't it be "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD was open-sourcing something the week after"?
    michael wrote it right because its next weak you just need to ad his words "next week" to my words: "2011-5-31 AMD open up some important closed source stuff"

thats true amd openup some closed source stuff and the llano radeon driver is a open-source stuff not a closed source stuff.

means they open up the closed source stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    including comments by AMD's John Bridgman, where he had said nothing was basically planned.
    Yep. Nothing was planned at the time, and nothing was planned as late as lunchtime today, although as I said we always have a lot of things in the pipe. We received approval a couple of hours ago to release the Llano info, so we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
    Qs psychic abilities never cease to amaze me :P
    maybe just Luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
    If he could just get his James Bond over to the uvd stuff so that we can get the specs for that .
    they write an shader based video acceleration thats cool because the UVD1/2/3 can not handle WebM.

Q, give me your dices please. Just one roll...

"Llano is AMD's new Fusion APU that is built on a 32nm process and is a quad-core chip targeted at laptops and desktops. All around, it should be a fantastic chip, especially for HTPCs and other low-power devices."
    Not really.

HTPCs need efficient video decoding which is unfortunately crippled in due to the requirement of catalyst.

It works...but it works badly (unless your htpc is windows based;there it works pretty well)