Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Phoronix Redesign is live!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    42

    Default Phoronix Redesign is live!

    Recently we've been working on some underlying CMS improvements and restructuring to improve the user experience at Phoronix. Over the past two weeks specifically we've made some great improvements and decided to push it out to the public a bit earlier than planned. About 5 minutes ago we just launched it live, so ladies and gentlemen refresh your caches! As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

    --Phoronix Team

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MN, United States
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Looks good, I like it. I'd have to say its a improvement.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!
    Posts
    287

    Default

    It's beautiful, especially the new logo.

    /me likes...

  4. #4

    Default

    I sure
    was
    surprised
    at the
    new
    design!

    I found
    it
    unusual
    at
    first,
    but I
    guess
    some
    cultures
    like to
    read
    a narrow
    column
    of text
    vertically,
    so I guess
    I can't
    complain.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I would like to have the preview of the news back because I'm not really interested in most of the reviews posted. Many news weren't longer than the preview text, there was no need to click on them. Now you have to click on every one.

    Imho the preview text of the articles is too long. Displaying a short summary and an indicator that there is more should be enough for most people to see if they are interested or not. It also doesn't look nice to cram the long text into a small column.

    I also don't like the 4 columns layout. The third and fourth columns share too much information. The third column also looks to much like the google ads. If you would display the news together with the reviews/articles and remove the third column completely, I would be happy .

    And maybe it's a good idea to separate hardware reviews and the other articles posted.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thoemy View Post
    I would like to have the preview of the news back because I'm not really interested in most of the reviews posted. Many news weren't longer than the preview text, there was no need to click on them. Now you have to click on every one.

    Imho the preview text of the articles is too long. Displaying a short summary and an indicator that there is more should be enough for most people to see if they are interested or not. It also doesn't look nice to cram the long text into a small column.

    I also don't like the 4 columns layout. The third and fourth columns share too much information. The third column also looks to much like the google ads. If you would display the news together with the reviews/articles and remove the third column completely, I would be happy .

    And maybe it's a good idea to separate hardware reviews and the other articles posted.
    Here's a hint for something I did just for people hesitant to change:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=old_home

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Here's a hint for something I did just for people hesitant to change:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=old_home
    It's not the old home .

    I'm not reluctant to change just because I want something back. I want it back because I think it was better.
    Last edited by thoemy; 10-02-2007 at 10:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Nice changes... definitely like the new banner and overall layout. I'm not sure which I'll use more though... home or old_home, but we'll see after a week or so.

  9. #9

    Default

    Over all, I like the redesign. I do think it's a tad bit cluttered. That's a lot to squeeze in the home page. I suggest doing a tabs sort of organization (e.g. tabs named "Latest Articles" "Phoronix News" "Phoronix Reviews" "Popular In The Forums") That way, you have ample space to talk about each stuff without jamming it all down readers throats.

    I also think these two sections are a bit redundant...

    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 10-03-2007 at 12:11 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Over all, I like the redesign. I do think it's a tad bit cluttered. That's a lot to squeeze in the home page. I suggest doing a tabs sort of organization (e.g. tabs named "Latest Articles" "Phoronix News" "Phoronix Reviews" "Popular In The Forums") That way, you have ample space to talk about each stuff without jamming it all down readers throats.

    I also think these two sections are a bit redundant...

    We are still discussing whether or not to use tabs, but it does seem like a cleaner option.

    We haven't tweaked the redundant sections yet but it's on our list.

    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep it comin'!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •