Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu Power Tests

I guess I'll stick to xfce when using battery, because as awesome as Kwin is, it's not worth the loss of precious battery time. Thanks for these tests, Michael.

Thanks for the benchmarks.

So KDE is not only a memory hog (as shown by previous benchmarks), but it will also drain your battery like crazy. LOL, this is getting funnier by the day

IMHO any KDE based distro should have an obligatory warning message as part of its installer:

Hazardous to the Environment

To be fair, KDE also had the highest FPS on Nvidia blobs

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Thanks for the benchmarks.

So KDE is not only a memory hog (as shown by previous benchmarks), but it will also drain your battery like crazy. LOL, this is getting funnier by the day
    In KDE when you have compositions enabled you can play games with normal frame rate. Unlike gnome's hell. KDE uses caching, so it's resource efficient. Gnome shell 'uses' memory leak, so it's a real memory hog.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    I guess I'll stick to xfce when using battery, because as awesome as Kwin is, it's not worth the loss of precious battery time. Thanks for these tests, Michael.
    Better check KDE with some other distro or... check if Nepomuk was disabled when Michael was doing the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    To be fair, KDE also had the highest FPS on Nvidia blobs
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by gedgon View Post
    Much higher than mutter.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Much higher than mutter.
    Only when uncomposited, at least with OpenGL backend.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Better check KDE with some other distro or... check if Nepomuk was disabled when Michael was doing the tests.
    In KDE 4.6, Nepomuk is pretty easy on the CPU (not even enough to throttle it). I don't think it would make that much difference, especially after the initial indexing.

Thumbs down LXDE is not lightest

I suggest you look into FLWM, Awesome, Fluxbox or OpenBox to name a few. Openbox is used as the WM for LXDE. You can use just openbox ON ITS OWN. This will immediately mate it lighter. "The LXDE desktop is generally said to be the fastest and lightest desktop environment" is is a complete lie. I suggest you research before making such bold statements.