Thread: Linux Kernel Power Consumption Is Lowered, But Regressions Remain

Hybrid View

Default Linux Kernel Power Consumption Is Lowered, But Regressions Remain

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Power Consumption Is Lowered, But Regressions Remain

As discovered by a Phoronix reader, there is a patch in the Linux 2.6.39.1 kernel that can partially improve the system's power performance. The patch by a Nokia engineer is entitled "cpuidle: menu: fixed wrapping timers at 4.294 seconds" and initial reports have said that it will lower the power consumption compared to the stock 2.6.39 kernel.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16104

How comes bisecting is taking so long? Having a very broad window (at commit-per-commit basis) and lowering it constantly should narrow it down very fast, right?

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    How comes bisecting is taking so long? Having a very broad window (at commit-per-commit basis) and lowering it constantly should narrow it down very fast, right?
    micheael wrote it on zwitter some kernel versions are broken and this stops you in bisecting.

bisecting is only fast if every version you generate works but what is if you only generate not working versions?

Yeah but it's taken a bit too long now?!
    Last concrete finding was that the offending commits that messed up 2.6.38 were from 13-15 January. And unfortunatly that one is not fixed in 2.6.39.1. Perhaps Micheal should have focused on one regression at a time...

i blame the Bavarians
    Last edited by 89c51; 06-08-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Reasons why it's taking so long to bisect:

1. Needing to manually plug/unplug power adapter...
    2. Still haven't received (or otherwise figured out) any sub-$100 USB UPS/power-meter units for automatic power monitoring so fast desktop/workstations can be used for bisecting in a fully automated manner...
    3. Haven't been motivated by any ISVs or IHVs -- i.e. even any communication from them about correlating our bug detecting efforts. The only ISV communication has been from an interested (and totally independent) company offering up a 48-core system if it means bisecting can be done faster, but it's behind a corporate firewall and there is no power metering...
    4. Due to all of the involved work, it will be a number of articles in order to offset my expenses....
    5. Phoronix is pretty much just me doing all the work... I also need to be producing other content as well on a daily basis.
    6. Yes, the Bavarian visitors/friends did insert an additional few day delay.
    etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    micheael wrote it on zwitter some kernel versions are broken and this stops you in bisecting.

bisecting is only fast if every version you generate works but what is if you only generate not working versions?
    Code:
    $ git bisect skip
    ?