Thread: More Details On The Desura Linux Client

Hybrid View

Default More Details On The Desura Linux Client

Phoronix: More Details On The Desura Linux Client

A number of days ago we showed the first screenshot of Desura running natively on Linux. Now there's more details about the state of the Linux implementation of this Steam-like client for digital games distribution...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU0Mw

I think I'll ditch valve seeing as how they have dismissed the linux community - at least for a while.

Sadly this won't be very useful unless they manage to get some deals with some of the big publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    Sadly this won't be very useful unless they manage to get some deals with some of the big publishers.
    Yup it will be a delivery system without any real content to deliver.

What problems is desura actually solving?
    In my experience, the biggest hurdle is bugs. (Takinb the humble bundles and some open source games into account).

Noone making games seem to know how to handle full screen. They all just fuck around with X, changing the screen resolution in all kinds of ways. This will almost always fuck up dual screen setups, or cause other headaches such as crashing and leaving the screen(s) in a messed up state, or steal the mouse/keyboard, preventing you tabbing out without quitting (fuck you Aquaria).
    This is a good read
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg50674.html

Or they just have some general bugs, segfaulting here and there.
    But if there is one thing i haven't had much problems with, its the download and installation (even though every single game have had their own method).

Quote Originally Posted by Micket View Post
    It solving nothing really, it is a solution to a non existent problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Micket View Post
    In my experience, the biggest hurdle is bugs. (Takinb the humble bundles and some open source games into account).

Noone making games seem to know how to handle full screen. They all just fuck around with X, changing the screen resolution in all kinds of ways. This will almost always fuck up dual screen setups, or cause other headaches such as crashing and leaving the screen(s) in a messed up state, or steal the mouse/keyboard, preventing you tabbing out without quitting (fuck you Aquaria).
    This is a good read
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg50674.html

Or they just have some general bugs, segfaulting here and there.
    But if there is one thing i haven't had much problems with, its the download and installation (even though every single game have had their own method).
    Nothing desura could really do about that. Mabye wayland...

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Yup it will be a delivery system without any real content to deliver.
    If they manage to present the number of installations + details of the user's hardware to publishers/developers I doubt it won't have any impact at all, if of course the hardware is good enough for actual games. Good gaming hardware equals money, and the will to spend money on entertainment.

I hope for them that they won't limit their collection to native Linux games. They could maintain an actual database of games that are completely - or mostly - playable using wine and even make a deal with the company that's developing crossover.
    Last edited by EarthMind; 06-09-2011 at 11:28 AM.