Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Heels Of An Impressive Launch

Phoronix: On The Heels Of An Impressive Launch

Those that follow my Twitter feed know a big software announcement is pending after being set back multiple times over the past week. Here's one graph illustrating the real-world impact of this yet-to-be-announced open-source move for open operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    and i think its a opensource galium3D openCL implementation from redhat or google
    I'm starting to think so, too

Comment

i don't get it what is this thing? what does it do? i didn't follow the twitter feeds so i have no idea what this is, how it works, or what it impacts. the numbers look impressive but i don't understand the significance.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        I'm starting to think so, too
        That would make me very happy... Although it would kinda mess with someone's GSoC project a bit.

Comment

I know you can't say what it is, but can you say when it will be announced?

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            I know you can't say what it is, but can you say when it will be announced?
            Well, the article says hopefully Thursday, but it sounds like it's already been delayed a few times so who knows.

From twitter:
            something is being open-sourced and made available for free where as up to now it's costed $1795+ per license.
            What costs $1800? An icc license maybe?

Comment

given the clues on twitter, maybe something to do with pathscale ekopath

Comment

Originally posted by alkyl View Post
                given the clues on twitter, maybe something to do with pathscale ekopath
                Yes, EKOPath4 was 1795 USD and there is no trace of ordering information on their website, only a link to a "trial", i.e. no link to "purchase". Considering *BSD people already bought and open sourced their C++ runtime, that won't be surprising to get the compiler as the next step. I wish this was ENZO though. On the other hand, ENZO has no price tag and this could be the link to the "OpenSolaris" community Michael mentioned...
                Last edited by gbeauche; 09 June 2011, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  and i think its a opensource galium3D openCL implementation from redhat or google
                  The Himeno benchmark is single threaded so there is no way openCL is causing this performance bump.

Comment

Micheal you revealed it,...$1795 )
                    Our multi-CDN technology works at multiple layers to go past synthetic benchmarks and guesses to ensure that your users and your CDN of choice are running optimally

Comment

Working...
                    X