Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesa 7.11 Is Set To Hit In July With Many Goodies

Default Mesa 7.11 Is Set To Hit In July With Many Goodies

Phoronix: Mesa 7.11 Is Set To Hit In July With Many Goodies

Finally, Mesa 7.11 is set to be released in early July. Ian Romanick of Intel has laid out plans to do a Mesa 7.10.3 point release in two weeks and then to release the proper Mesa 7.11 release in 7/11 (July of 2011)...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTUzOQ

All I want is for my laptop to not turn into molten plastic when I use the drivers. How about getting that fixed and then working on other things. Cus I'm not really interested in OpenGL 3.0 or other such things.

Quote Originally Posted by MiUNX View Post
    All I want is for my laptop to not turn into molten plastic when I use the drivers. How about getting that fixed and then working on other things. Cus I'm not really interested in OpenGL 3.0 or other such things.
    Code:
    echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    There you go

No on to the fun stuff :P

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
    Code:
    There you go

why is this not the standard setting ?

why not turn it high by a command?

why is no one write an script to detect battery-life. and if so they turn it to low profile if there is no battery because its a desktop the script put it to high profile.

We need dynpm to be working properly and being the default.

Unfortunately Alex seems to have no time for that anymore and nobody else has taken up the quest so far.

Until this happens the safest bet is to use the default state and require the user to put it to low profile. I do this ever time I start up my machine, so I would very much appreciate a script for this.

Anyhow, I hope this answers your questions, Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
    Code:
    There you go

First you need:

Code:
    echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
    Or you can try dynpm instead of profile.

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    I hope this answers your questions, Q.
    sorry i do not ask a question. LOW should be the default because high mode just hurt on active cooled cards on noise and hurt notebook people on battery life and noise to!

i'm up to 100% Desktop user and i tell you this LOW should be the standard! not high!

if some people wana more speed tune there systems up well they can put the high profile on.

The default isn't high, its whatever is programmed into the particular card you have. If YOUR CARD has a default of high, then that is what will be used. If YOUR CARD has a default of LOW, then THAT is what will be used.

*** this is the correct behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    sorry i do not ask a question. LOW should be the default because high mode just hurt on active cooled cards on noise and hurt notebook people on battery life and noise to!

i'm up to 100% Desktop user and i tell you this LOW should be the standard! not high!

if some people wana more speed tune there systems up well they can put the high profile on.

Default should be LOW. Because, unless you want full frequency straight, which may come if you run straight opengl, without any (composite) desktop - a 0,1% case, it will waste your card and electricity. The card should dynclock with default startup always LOW.
    My old 9800gt card used to run exactly as you specify, means vacuum cleaner - from start of pc till xorg with blob loads. For no point ever.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Default should be LOW. Because, unless you want full frequency straight, which may come if you run straight opengl, without any (composite) desktop - a 0,1% case, it will waste your card and electricity. The card should dynclock with default startup always LOW.
    My old 9800gt card used to run exactly as you specify, means vacuum cleaner - from start of pc till xorg with blob loads. For no point ever.
    You completely missed the point. YES the default should *sometimes* be low... other times NOT -- IGP may be better off with the default set to HIGH.

In any case, the default is UP TO THE CARD VENDOR. The driver has NO PLACE setting the default. The driver READS the default (for whatever card there happens to be, sometimes it may be low, other times high), and sets it TO THAT.