Thread: xvideo/xvmc With ATI fglrx

Hybrid View

Default xvideo/xvmc With ATI fglrx

Do ATI hardware and drivers support XVideo output? NVidia still does not support this in their GF8 line and its a feature that I don't want to do without. It seems a little smoother than Opengl output during video playback.

ATI's video acceleration method of choice is TexturedVideo. TexturedVideo does use the 3D capabilities on the card to accelerate video playback and it does use the X-Video extension. Though right now some people are running into video playback problems, it should be sorted out in 8.42 (or 8.43).

Quote Originally Posted by dramac View Post
    Do ATI hardware and drivers support XVideo output? NVidia still does not support this in their GF8 line and its a feature that I don't want to do without. It seems a little smoother than Opengl output during video playback.
    I think you are mixing things here. Xvideo (xv) should be supported by the GF8 series in Linux. XVideo Motion Compensation (xvmc) is however not. The Xvmc implementation for pre-GF8 cards does also only support MPEG-2 streams, not h264/x264.

Ah, I see. It isn't that I need hardware accelerated decoding of mpeg2/h264. Xvideo smooths the video and eliminates aliasing which is really what I need on a high res LCD display. I didn't mean to confuse that with xvmc. My understanding is that the GF8 series supports this (xvideo) in hardware, as previous generations do, but the drivers have yet to enable it. It looks like good things are ahead for ATI and gnu/linux, especially in regard to drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by dramac View Post
    Ah, I see. It isn't that I need hardware accelerated decoding of mpeg2/h264. Xvideo smooths the video and eliminates aliasing which is really what I need on a high res LCD display. I didn't mean to confuse that with xvmc. My understanding is that the GF8 series supports this (xvideo) in hardware, as previous generations do, but the drivers have yet to enable it. It looks like good things are ahead for ATI and gnu/linux, especially in regard to drivers.
    No, the only thing GF8 doesn't support in linux is Xvmc. It really doesn't have any relations to wether it's supported in hardware or not. Xvmc for GF8 could easily be done with the use of eg. pixel shaders, but I think NVIDIA thinks that Xvmc is sorta outdated and my guess is that they are waiting to see how good VAAPI will be.

I have some videos .