Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 235

Thread: PathScale Open-Sources The EKOPath 4 Compiler Suite

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Massive improvement indeed. :O

    Must...compile...whole system...with it...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeiF View Post
    Must...compile...whole system...with it...
    Just thought about the same.
    Anyway where's the release? There's still nothing on pathscale's site...

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kacperpl1 View Post
    Just thought about the same.
    Anyway where's the release? There's still nothing on pathscale's site...
    There was some miscommunication but I suspect it will be on their site shortly.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Just noticed this on the Pathscale CTO's twitter feed:

    @michaellarabel - Sorry about the delays, but I'm extremely disappointed in your impatience to respect our delays for the release. --karma
    Have to agree with him. Michael could have sat silently on this for all this time but instead dripped it out and essentially gave it away (smart move giving out the exact price) so that he could generate four posts of ad-juicing goodness. Pretty scummy.

    Michael, if you want people to talk to you in confidence, you have to show you'll respect their secrecy when they explicitly ask for it.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeiF View Post
    Massive improvement indeed. :O

    Must...compile...whole system...with it...
    That might not be the best thing to do. Remember, the things benchmarked stop far are computational apps and those seem to benefit a lot from it. Buy we both don't have the slightest idea how this will perform on non computational apps like for example kde, gnome, firefox, office suits.. Besides that I'm also interested in the compiled binary size

    More information is needed.
    Note, I'm guessing firefox and chrome won't compile.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliw View Post
    Have to agree with him. Michael could have sat silently on this for all this time but instead dripped it out and essentially gave it away (smart move giving out the exact price) so that he could generate four posts of ad-juicing goodness. Pretty scummy.

    Michael, if you want people to talk to you in confidence, you have to show you'll respect their secrecy when they explicitly ask for it.
    He was actually okay with the 'leaks', but we just had some miss communications at the last minute. Last I heard was Thursday/Friday/Monday and pinged several times via email on IRC on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and this morning to see if anything had changed, and hadn't heard, so assumed everything was still on target.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    He was actually okay with the 'leaks', but we just had some miss communications at the last minute. Last I heard was Thursday/Friday/Monday and pinged several times via email on IRC on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and this morning to see if anything had changed, and hadn't heard, so assumed everything was still on target.
    Then there's perhaps a lesson to be learnt about assumptions. Especially on something that you say has slipped numerous times already.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    He was actually okay with the 'leaks', but we just had some miss communications at the last minute. Last I heard was Thursday/Friday/Monday and pinged several times via email on IRC on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and this morning to see if anything had changed, and hadn't heard, so assumed everything was still on target.
    Let me quote someone (don't know who buy the line is nice)
    "assumption its the mother of all screw ups"

    And I think you made one by posting the article. Not that I mind

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,152

    Default I'm also interested in how this is done

    Is it speculatively running code ahead of time on other cpu cores? What are the compile times and binary size like compared to GCC?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    The Linux kernel can even be built with this high-performance compiler after applying a trivial patch.
    where can we find this patch please?

    also, I understand this compiler is Intel® 64 & AMD64 performance tuned but does anybody knows if it will run on 32bit?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •