Thread: GNOME 3.1.2 Released

Default GNOME 3.1.2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.1.2 Released

For those interested in running some new development software this weekend, the GNOME 3.1.2 development snapshot has been released...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU3Nw

And now that Empathy has some of the features of Pidgin, they plan to dump Empathy for another new application called "Conversation" next year. Business as usual for GNOME.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    And now that Empathy has some of the features of Pidgin, they plan to dump Empathy for another new application called "Conversation" next year. Business as usual for GNOME.
    Wait.. what???

Empathy is still lacking basic important features like blocking contacts (aim), privacy settings ("only allow users on my contact to contact me"), file transfers (only works on a few protocols right now, missing for aim)

Does this new program have more features? If its another program missing tons of basic stuff, epic fail.

I'm curious to see a source for this future switch, does this program already exist? Conversation is a super generic name so googling shows nothing useful lol.
    Last edited by bwat47; 06-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    Does this new program have more features? If its another program missing tons of basic stuff, epic fail.
    At first I thought it's a joke! If it's not there's some explanation. According to Gnome standards Empathy is becoming too useful (like Pidgin before), so it has to be replaced by some unusable crap. That's why I consider there are some morons in the gnome camp who are killing DE. Only fanatics will follow them blindly.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    got a source on this

Sources:
    http://www.hadess.net/2011/06/im-con...est-final.html
    Which links to... https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/IMC...nBrainstorming

Looks like they want something which integrates better with Gnome Shell.

So I assume this app would still use telepathy? Guess it wouldn't be THAT bad as that's where most of the functionality is, but still seems like needless duplication of effort.

So it snot really abt replacing empathy but extending it... those links even provide a mockup around empathy...

Empathy is about as bare-bones as you can get, but it actually works for me. As long as Conversation uses the same telepathy back-end, I think it's an interesting idea.