Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

Hybrid View

Default Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

Phoronix: Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

The Haiku operating system, which seeks to be free software and implement compatibility with the BeOS platform, has now experienced its third official release in ten years of development. Haiku R1 Alpha 3 is this new official release and it offers a lot of changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU4MA

GCC 2.x?? Really?

PAE? is it a 32 bit OS only?
    Anyway, maximum respect for the defunct BeOS and for the guys reviving it nowadays

is it possible to think of a future for this OS outside the small group of nostalgic? I mean, if after 20 years of honorable history, even Linux hasn't made a breakthrough on the desktop world... it's very likely that Haiku will go no further than Linux. Maybe it will find new life in the mobile world (tablets, in car entertainment, smart-TV...)

Yeah, Haiku got stock in the early 90's. It's 32bit-only, single user. They say it's fast though, but so is Windows 95 :P

PS:
    GCC 2 must be some kind of joke.
    Last edited by RealNC; 06-20-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Uh well... being 32 bit only, single user, and devoted to the desktop (BeOS was born with the desktop as a the priority target) I find it hard to imagine a future in nowadays mobile world. Unless Haiku breaks the compatibility with BeOS legacy...

Default GCC2

From what I understand, GCC and the Linux kernel are so heavily intertwined that it is becoming bad thing for both projects.

So, I guess thins kind of thing is understandable when other operating systems try to utilize the GCC compiler.

Quote Originally Posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    Uh well... being 32 bit only, single user, and devoted to the desktop (BeOS was born with the desktop as a the priority target) I find it hard to imagine a future in nowadays mobile world. Unless Haiku breaks the compatibility with BeOS legacy...
    I think that's the plan ("break compatibility with BeOS legacy"), but not until R2 (which is a ways off).

Quote Originally Posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    PAE? is it a 32 bit OS only?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    GCC 2 must be some kind of joke.
    For Haiku 1.0 the developers target close to 100% BeOS compatibility. As you may have forgotten, with GCC 3.0 the C++ ABI was changed which means that all C++ applications had to be recompiled in order to work again. For that reason Haiku is so far at least stuck with GCC 2 and 32 Bit mode.
    However, Haiku is built to be compilable with GCC 4. It's just not the supported way to do. As for compilation as 64 bit OS: Could be that that's possible, too, but again not officially supported. I don't know about this, though.

There has been some work done on 64bit support however the drivers have not been ported and such so no you can't build it as 64bit yet... but it is on the TODO list.

For what its worth Haiku has been compiled with LLVM by a few people however I don' think it is directly supported by the build system yet.

So you might say that GCC2 support is a good thing as it means the code is portable. Pfft netbsd still buits on GCC2 after all and its gets respect seriously don't diss an OS cause it supports MORE compilers.
    Last edited by cb88; 06-20-2011 at 12:24 PM.

According to a poll asking for what was a requirement for ending R1, was Gallium3D and WPA (and some other things).

I think any OS should now ditch GCC for EkoPath anyway, especially because Linux only needs one tiny patch and EkoPath supports GnuC anyway.

Anything not x86 or Itanium? LLVM for the long run. Gnu gives two fingers to standards. I mean... GNU C? WTF... Non-complience and bugs everywhere...