Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Mozilla Puts Out Firefox 5.0 Web Browser

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Mozilla Puts Out Firefox 5.0 Web Browser

    Phoronix: Mozilla Puts Out Firefox 5.0 Web Browser

    It was only in late March when Mozilla released Firefox 4.0, but under their new development practices that are similar to that of Google's Chrome web-browser, Firefox 5.0 was released yesterday...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU4NQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    I would just like to point out that this isn't release 5 in the same manner as as previous versioning. 3:4 is not the same as 4:5. Think of it as version 4.1.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I would just like to point out that this isn't release 5 in the same manner as as previous versioning. 3:4 is not the same as 4:5. Think of it as version 4.1.
    Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number? The added features are far more important.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Do-not-track: a pointless header that anybody who WOULD be inclined to track you would ignore. I don't see any value in this header, it does NOTHING to improve privacy. What would be a nice addition to the android version would be, rather than this pointlessness, PRIVATE BROWSING (no storage of cache/history/cookies/anything to device).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    Do-not-track: a pointless header that anybody who WOULD be inclined to track you would ignore. I don't see any value in this header, it does NOTHING to improve privacy. What would be a nice addition to the android version would be, rather than this pointlessness, PRIVATE BROWSING (no storage of cache/history/cookies/anything to device).
    That DNT header is not a cure-all as the standards don't require sites to honor it, so indeed this is a pointless feature at the moment

    FF5 is noticeably faster for sure...some memory leaks fixed too

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number? The added features are far more important.
    Typically, the version number step implies the number and/or significance of added features. A big version step implies a lot of significant changes, a small version step implies a few less significant changes. They made a BIG version step for insignificant feature changes, hence the clarification I added regarding the version numbering -- so that people who ARE expecting big changes due to such a big version number change won't all bother rushing out to update to something that really isn't significantly different. There WILL be a LOT of people who will take this update and be really disappointed that nothing has really changed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    There WILL be a LOT of people who will take this update and be really disappointed that nothing has really changed.
    I don't know a lot of people that run Firefox and care about the version number. You care if you have the newest features.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    I don't know a lot of people that run Firefox and care about the version number. You care if you have the newest features.
    They care when their addons break and they're forced to upgrade to a new version because Mozilla no longer releases security updates for the one they released three months ago. That's likely to be a significant hit for corporate use where they only want to use software they've tested... guess they'll be sticking to Firefox 3.6 or finding an alternative.

    As far as I can see this is a seriously braindead move on Mozilla's part, merely to keep up with Chrome's version numbers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Does anyone with half a brain really care about the version number?
    Obviously Mozilla does, otherwise they wouldn't have switched to the "My version number dick is bigger than yours" system.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    U.S. Iowa
    Posts
    13

    Default Source Archives?

    This does not seem to be in the source archives yet (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/), have they moved the location for downloading the source for releases?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •