Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Open-Source Radeon HD 6000 Series Still Borked

Ok, the HD5870 finally arrived. First impression (with a 4 weeks old graphical stack and an Athlon64 3800+ X2): slow, SLOW, SLOW.
    Too much slow for such a monster, my Intel HD3000 is faster with nexuiz
    Obviously the HD3000 runs on a Core i5 2500K, but the Athlon64 3800+ X2 was overclocked @2.7Ghz
    It doesn't seem faster than the HD3870, next week I will do some real benchmarks.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    Ok, the HD5870 finally arrived. First impression (with a 4 weeks old graphical stack and an Athlon64 3800+ X2): slow, SLOW, SLOW.
    Obviously the HD3000 runs on a Core i5 2500K, but the Athlon64 3800+ X2 was overclocked @2.7Ghz
    It doesn't seem faster than the HD3870, next week I will do some real benchmarks.
    How unfortunate. Soon I will buy new PC, and I am still in doubt. Llano or SB? No discrete GPU, Linux only.

Sandy Bridge rocks, it's so damn fast:
    http://www.linuxsystems.it/3-linux-3...dge-benchmarks
    I will benchmark the HD5870 on the Core i5 2500K, I'm pretty sure it's cpu limited.
    Last edited by darkbasic; 07-07-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    ## VGA ##

Thanks for your replies!
    I understand your situation. I have gtx260sp216 card with 1792 megs of gddr3, of course it is LARGE card, but very powerful (less in era of 460/560+ but still its useable only with blob, and fermi support is even more damaged). So you have this card, payed for it and you expect it to perform. 5870 with gddr5, wee, yes - MONSTER.
    You insert the card and heh... Yes.
    So you stand there, between the unfree decision - opensource and borked, or blob and working investment.
    And if even your blob driver is flawed(like it was in 4670 era, several years ago), you want to throw the card in trash...

Still radeon has most stakes of becoming somehow usable open AND performing driver. Its these 5 developers vs 2,000 that ultimately decide. Official AMD keeps telling me: a boat with least interest will get least amount of purchases, and I keep telling them : a boat with most developer attention will get most interest and most amount of purchases.

I think their whole strategy is to attract new programmers and somehow get part of nvidia-only performance gpu cake in linux by dream a of open driver. Well, at least they fixed the closed driver so you can use the card to some degree and keep it; and some talented people(students) appreciate open driver and work on it... doing their job, fixing their own boat.

I think the root of the problem lies within secret partnerships - ie they are not interested in selling their cards for use within linux. But not much of the concurrence here, nvidia is actually becoming crappier and crappier in linux support.

Sandy Bridge rocks, it's so damn fast:
    http://www.linuxsystems.it/3-linux-3...dge-benchmarks
    I will benchmark the HD5870 on the Core i5 2500K, I'm pretty sure it's cpu limited.
    Haha, intel used linux information to further push winblows driver. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Thanks for your replies!
    I understand your situation. I have gtx260sp216 card with 1792 megs of gddr3, of course it is LARGE card, but very powerful (less in era of 460/560+ but still its useable only with blob, and fermi support is even more damaged). So you have this card, payed for it and you expect it to perform. 5870 with gddr5, wee, yes - MONSTER.
    You insert the card and heh... Yes.
    So you stand there, between the unfree decision - opensource and borked, or blob and working investment.
    And if even your blob driver is flawed(like it was in 4670 era, several years ago), you want to throw the card in trash...

Still radeon has most stakes of becoming somehow usable open AND performing driver. Its these 5 developers vs 2,000 that ultimately decide. Official AMD keeps telling me: a boat with least interest will get least amount of purchases, and I keep telling them : a boat with most developer attention will get most interest and most amount of purchases.

I think their whole strategy is to attract new programmers and somehow get part of nvidia-only performance gpu cake in linux by dream a of open driver. Well, at least they fixed the closed driver so you can use the card to some degree and keep it; and some talented people(students) appreciate open driver and work on it... doing their job, fixing their own boat.

I think the root of the problem lies within secret partnerships - ie they are not interested in selling their cards for use within linux. But not much of the concurrence here, nvidia is actually becoming crappier and crappier in linux support.
    hey the problem is the r600-hd6970 is a ati architectur not designet to be open.

the r600 is just a testrun for the hd8000 generation of cards.

because the new architecture are easier to handle and the opensource amd team do have access from the start on and they build a OS driver from the start on.

meybe you just need to wait and in 2012 you buy an hd8000 and your opensource dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    meybe you just need to wait and in 2012 you buy an hd8000 and your opensource dream come true.
    Lets hope God does not mess it up in December.

Here is Unigine Heaven, it's somehow faster there...

## VGA ##

r600g is in solid enough shape now that the lack of an optimizing shader compiler is beginning to hurt.

Here is Unigine Heaven, it's somehow faster there...
    your result isn't bad i got 3fps on an hd4770...

your card is 4 time faster with the same driver...