Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,914

    Default KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

    Phoronix: KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

    The KDE community has done an early Saturday morning release of the first release candidate for KDE Software Compilation 4.7. After being in beta for a month, the KDE developers are gearing up for the release of KDE SC 4.7 by the end of July...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU5OQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Can someone enlighten me as to what goes on between the tagging and the release? And for that matter, why there are 7 days between the 4.7 final tag and the actual release? It seems a long time and the schedule is pretty unclear as to what kind of activity actually goes on during all of the RC and final release phase.

    This is not a flame post, I'm honestly curious because I just don't know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    94

    Default

    After tagging the tarballs are made and a few days are given so that distribution packagers can test the packages (so that everything compiles and nothing is missing) and if necessary corrections are made.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siride View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to what goes on between the tagging and the release? And for that matter, why there are 7 days between the 4.7 final tag and the actual release?
    The week is for all the distributions to prepare packages and make sure that it installs without problems. Some distros also maintain their own patchset changing the vanilla KDE code in some way, and they want to make sure that these still work fine with the final release.

    That way, when 4.7 SC is officially announced, it should be available on all distros and users can simply install the packages from their distros' repositories.

    Absolutely nothing changes in terms of the KDE codebase. Once it's tagged, that's the final release.

  5. #5

    Default

    Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Is there a Ubuntu 11.04 PPA that will contain the SC 4.7 code? I'm currently running stock 4.6.x on Natty and I like it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Are we real?
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Is there a Ubuntu 11.04 PPA that will contain the SC 4.7 code? I'm currently running stock 4.6.x on Natty and I like it.
    Maybe some of these:
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa

    I think it will be in the backports PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
    At least (I hope) they won't screw their DE as GNOME people.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Now that KDE developers have run out of "new great features" to add, maybe they'll start thinking about overall KDE optimization (KDE4 RAM consumption is just insane) and bug fixing?
    I hope you're right. KDE is in so much need of bug fixing. I don't care what the ratio of bugs to LOC is supposed to be, it still feels and looks like it has more bugs compared to gnome. Maybe it has less bugs, but at least on gnome they know how to cover them up really well and they don't stick out all the time affecting productivity and workflow as much :P

    PS: I doubt they have run out of "new great features". Just take a look at the file transfer notification introduced in version 4.6. Why do we need a graph in the thing?? Sure it's kind of cool for the geek, but if I want to look at graphs I'd rather use the system monitor. Why duplicate features, especially when there are so many bugs in the bloody notification system to begin with?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    I hope you're right. KDE is in so much need of bug fixing. I don't care what the ratio of bugs to LOC is supposed to be, it still feels and looks like it has more bugs compared to gnome. Maybe it has less bugs, but at least on gnome they know how to cover them up really well and they don't stick out all the time affecting productivity and workflow as much :P

    PS: I doubt they have run out of "new great features". Just take a look at the file transfer notification introduced in version 4.6. Why do we need a graph in the thing?? Sure it's kind of cool for the geek, but if I want to look at graphs I'd rather use the system monitor. Why duplicate features, especially when there are so many bugs in the bloody notification system to begin with?
    While KDE 4 has come a long way since 4.0 (which was a bug ridden pile of garbage), it indeed still feels buggy compared to KDE 3.5.10.

    I should say that after KDE 4.7 it should be time for optimization and bug fixing. For the most part the infrastructure is more stable than ever still plenty of work to do before we can declare KDE 4 stable and mature.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •