Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux for Tegra release 12 alpha 1 Released

From the guys AaronP over at nvnet....

NVIDIA is pleased to announce that Linux for Tegra release 12 alpha 1 is now available! This release is intended for developers using platforms based on Tegra 2, and is not directly intended for users of Tegra-based devices.

Please see the release notes below for caveats and known issues. We're working hard to work out as many kinks as we can.

YAAAY

I got a Toshiba AC100 (Tegra2-based). Running Android, it was a piece of crap and running Ubuntu from an SD card was slow. It was just after I put Ubuntu on the eMMC that I truly realized what a nice machine it is. I absolutely love that it is passively cooled.

I really hope that this release will get the final stuff working on my toy

I can not wait to try this out !

Comment

Ac100

The Ac100 has been a delusion for me... how can/will this nvidia drop affect ac100 users?

Comment

Is it even possible to get the AC100 in North America? Perhaps more saliently, does this mean the level of support is good enough that there are other Tegra 2 SoC devices that one can overwrite the (inevitably Android) default install with a normal distro? A little while ago that would've been just a curiosity, but with DEs like Plasma Active, Unity and GNOME3, having a tablet touchscreen with a normal distro underneath seems increasingly practical, albeit with likely a fair bit of tinkering . . . but I love me some tinkering

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
          Is it even possible to get the AC100 in North America? Perhaps more saliently, does this mean the level of support is good enough that there are other Tegra 2 SoC devices that one can overwrite the (inevitably Android) default install with a normal distro? A little while ago that would've been just a curiosity, but with DEs like Plasma Active, Unity and GNOME3, having a tablet touchscreen with a normal distro underneath seems increasingly practical, albeit with likely a fair bit of tinkering . . . but I love me some tinkering
          I do not know about the availability in north america, but I guess there is a big 2nd hand market both for the AC100 and the Folio tablet. Toshiba seems to have given up on both after massive consumer negativity (all related to Android, first that it stayed 2.1 with no flash second that it is unofficial with no Market. The hardware and the design is great). This illustrates why it is good to release a geek/developer version of an experimental device first... Too bad that Nokia did not stick to their maemo/meego thing since their geek-release N900 definitely was a hit.

There are really good instructions how to install Ubuntu on the AC100 here:

Unfortunately still Maverick and still some crap partitions left. Hopefully these new things from Nvidia will be better. I have had no time to play with it yet.

//written from my AC100 on Ubuntu

Comment

Thank you for the information on installing Ubuntu on the AC100. I just recently bought one used, and have been having trouble installing Ubuntu on it. I am looking forward to checking out the new drivers, hopefully these will alleviate all of the negative feedback they have received in the past. Thank you.

Comment

updated official instructions

There are now updated and official instructions at:

The nice thing now is that it can install on the internal eMMC. The machine turns yet a bit nicer from its since you do not need an SD card to boot from any more The OS should be possible to update from within the installation so more flashing should also not be needed.

Comment

Working...
              X