Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mesa 7.12 Is Now Where The Fun Is At

IMHO performance would be more important right now than GL3. Not a single GL3/4 app available*, despite the blobs having support.

BTW Michael, could you confirm this:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/009011.html
    There is ~20% fps boost with the etqw timenetdemo after this patch.
    * Yes yes benchmarks are. I mean full apps/games.

I think that OpenGL3 is important because it is the major milestone.

All the following changes are very small in comparison, and can be added with far less effort. OpenGL3 needs a huge investment, and we are almost there. It's relatively easy going from that point, or at least that's how I understand it.

Performance is always important, of course.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    IMHO performance would be more important right now than GL3. Not a single GL3/4 app available*, despite the blobs having support.

*slobbers* - Well those are definitely worth it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I don't know for 7xxx series, but for sure 8xxx will depart from VLIW design, and will be SIMD. So guess there LLVM will kick ass!
    in the past they use VLIW+SIMD and i think they use RISC+SIMD in the hd8000 line.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's probably not an issue for the higher-end cards, but it could be for the cheap ones.
    Can't prove it, but I think GeForce 8/9 series+ would suffice and they're (very) cheap nowadays, in fact, they're probably the cheapest ones one can buy. Using shaders would be good enough for me especially for an open source graphics driver.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I think that OpenGL3 is important because it is the major milestone.

All the following changes are very small in comparison, and can be added with far less effort. OpenGL3 needs a huge investment, and we are almost there. It's relatively easy going from that point, or at least that's how I understand it.

Performance is always important, of course.
    +1 on everything you said. Performance is of key importance, but if you can't support key technologies that were released on July 11, 2008, it doesn't matter how good the performance is. Well to a certain extent of course, just like you said above. I think the performance work that has gone into Mesa (especially Gallium in the last year) is amazing, but at some point we need to stop and think about what we're really making faster. Is it a deprecated pipeline or is it the current (or next) technology?

Phoronix have refused to benchmark ETQW on open drivers in the past, so I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as my own testing on a HD5670 there was no difference. Probably because I have all the settings cranked up to max and there are a bunch of other things needing a boost before this is noticable.

I petition Blizzard to support Linux by releasing Diablo 3 for it!

Seriously, the last AAA title for Linux was how long ago now? Of course, it depends on what you call AAA. Throw us a frickin bone here though, Blizzard. It wouldn't be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    I petition Blizzard to support Linux by releasing Diablo 3 for it!

Seriously, the last AAA title for Linux was how long ago now? Of course, it depends on what you call AAA. Throw us a frickin bone here though, Blizzard. It wouldn't be hard.
    Last AAA title for Linux would be Quake Wars I guess. Did you buy it? =)

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    Phoronix have refused to benchmark ETQW on open drivers in the past, so I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as my own testing on a HD5670 there was no difference. Probably because I have all the settings cranked up to max and there are a bunch of other things needing a boost before this is noticable.
    It should show up in other tests too, I don't think one would need etqw specifically to see the difference (or lack of).