Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,426

    Default Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

    Phoronix: Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

    Via a commit to the TODO list concerning Mesa's support for the OpenGL 3.0 specification, Marek Olk has confirmed that vertex texture image units for OGL3 are "DONE" and working on the R600 Gallium3D driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTYxNw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,908

    Default

    Beyond OpenGL 3.0, there's already 3.1/3.2/3.3 and even OpenGL 4.0/4.1 to additionally address.
    Yes, but OpenGL 3.0 bridged decades of neglect and decay, while everything after that added relatively minor functionality. I don't think that it compares to the huge leap that is/was needed to bring GL 3.

    OpenGL 3 will be the major milestone for Mesa. I can't wait.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,911

    Default

    The only items for attaining OpenGL 3.0 support that haven't been worked on at all are the float-depth buffers and depth format cube textures.
    and float-depth buffers: now done. Thanks Marek. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/009085.html

    At this rate, maybe we should be shooting for GL 3.1 for the next release.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Call me a pessimist, but I don't see 3.3 or even 3.1 coming with the next release. The wiki describes each of GLSL 1.40 and GLSL 1.50 as "piles and piles of work" that will take "months", and doing a release takes some time even when the bulk of it is "done". Anyway, I'd be plenty happy to see GL 3 support solidify in time for the next round of spring/summer distro releases (I'm assuming that it will likely arrive too late for the fall/winter ones)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    Call me a pessimist, but I don't see 3.3 or even 3.1 coming with the next release. The wiki describes each of GLSL 1.40 and GLSL 1.50 as "piles and piles of work" that will take "months", and doing a release takes some time even when the bulk of it is "done". Anyway, I'd be plenty happy to see GL 3 support solidify in time for the next round of spring/summer distro releases (I'm assuming that it will likely arrive too late for the fall/winter ones)
    Which wiki is that? 3.2/1.5 will be a fair amount of work, but 3.3/3.3 is downright tiny. And I think 3.1/1.4 is fairly small, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, you're probably right that it's unlikely GLSL 1.4 would be finished for the next release, but we can hope.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Sorry; I certainly should have linked. I was getting that from MissingFunctionality

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    and float-depth buffers: now done. Thanks Marek. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/009085.html

    At this rate, maybe we should be shooting for GL 3.1 for the next release.
    I think this just made me cum a little bit...

    Thanks for the list and the sum-up! I agree with previous commenters, the leap from 2.1 -> 3.0 is huge in comparison to 3.0 -> 3.3. Even the step to 4.1 isn't as big I guess.

    I do hope that the maintenance of the fixed pipeline doesn't drag down the momentum of working with the newer and leaner OpenGL.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    All it took was more patents to stop caring about them; as mr. Bridgman showed, there is now even a patent for your lungs.

    So I'm assuming that none of this will work, unless your distro vendor has a patent license, or you recompile it yourself with '-middlefingerToPatentTrolls:1', or something?

    So if one wanted to be a total treehugger, what functionality would they miss? Texture compression and HW-float? Or much more?

    Also; when is somebody going to patent HW-double as an invention, to be able to fully support the float without getting patent trolled?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Yes, but OpenGL 3.0 bridged decades of neglect and decay, while everything after that added relatively minor functionality. I don't think that it compares to the huge leap that is/was needed to bring GL 3.

    OpenGL 3 will be the major milestone for Mesa. I can't wait.
    Yep. 3.0 to 3.3 would be easier than the to do list that's left for 3.0. 4.0 can rot for 3 years before anybody notices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •