Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: WebCL: OpenCL For The Browser

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,416

    Default WebCL: OpenCL For The Browser

    Phoronix: WebCL: OpenCL For The Browser

    First there was WebGL to bring OpenGL to the web-browser, and now there's WebCL to do the same for bringing OpenCL to the web. The Khronos Group is getting ready WebCL, to bring OpenCL to modern web browsers with JavaScript support. Early WebCL support is already available for the WebKit rendering engine...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTYzNA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Isn't this a bit overkill? Why would anyone use opencl on a webpage?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wpoely86 View Post
    Isn't this a bit overkill? Why would anyone use opencl on a webpage?
    It would actually be kind of cool. Upload a data set to your webbrowser and let it crunch away instead of having to install an application on your system first. Also I could also see distributed projects liking this as well. Open up your browser, navigate to a page, and bamm you have another client on the swarm crunching away.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    It would actually be kind of cool. Upload a data set to your webbrowser and let it crunch away instead of having to install an application on your system first. Also I could also see distributed projects liking this as well. Open up your browser, navigate to a page, and bamm you have another client on the swarm crunching away.
    No doubt about the coolness of this but... since it's totally unpredictable how long you stay on a site, i doubt that this useful for distributed computing. Not to mention that javascript is not a very efficient tool to do heavy number crunching, even with webcl.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,138

    Default

    This is really getting stupid.
    Web browser has no business in dealing with complicated processor hungry tasks, and too much worry is being made over getting the processing off the processor onto the GPU. You know, with these big fast multi-core CPUs, you can whip off a lot of numbers... its what they're there for, USE THEM and quit worrying about GPUs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wpoely86 View Post
    No doubt about the coolness of this but... since it's totally unpredictable how long you stay on a site, i doubt that this useful for distributed computing. Not to mention that javascript is not a very efficient tool to do heavy number crunching, even with webcl.
    The client versions of distributed computing that are not browser based have no way of knowing how long you keep crunching as well. Many people with desktops have their browsers open 24/7.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,219

    Default

    You can use OpenCL from within OpenGL to do different things - so I can see why you might want to have the same abilities within WebGL. I suspect it probably won't be used very much, though.

    It could be cool to do some crowdsourcing with it. For example, put up an OpenCL algorithm in javascript on a webpage, and let a bunch of people hit it with different hardware. Serve up different versions, or even let them edit parameters in the javascript to find ideal splits based on what hardware you have. So i guess I can think of a few cool things to do with it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    716

    Default Nokia team give Image procesing as example

    of WebCL use.

    And WebCL can be 100x faster than JS!
    And if GPU is idling then why not use it for some computing?

    And WebApps may need some extra horse power. (stfu, those of you that forbid web apps to become complex stuff).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    Yyeah, I'm totally gonna give a random web page access to my gpu in order for it to mine bitcoins on my electricity.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    881

    Default

    Even when OpenCL-over-Gallium3D is there, it won't do any good for those with the Intel classic driver or those just wishing to use OpenCL on the CPU;
    This is true, but I don't see why the browsers couldn't use a CPU-only implementation such as AMD's APP SDK (fka Stream) or Intel's CPU-based OpenCL run-time library.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •