Thread: Apple Time Machine Come To Linux, Sort Of

Default Apple Time Machine Come To Linux, Sort Of

Phoronix: Apple Time Machine Come To Linux, Sort Of

Apple Time Machine is a feature that was introduced in Mac OS X 10.5 nearly four years ago, which allows the automatic creation of incremental file back-ups that can be restored at a later date, either for the entire system or just an individual file. Mac OS X programs can also become Time Machine-aware themselves to take advantage of these incremental backups. Basic read-only support for better managing Apple Time Machine back-ups is now available to Linux users via a new virtual file-system aptly called the Time Machine File-System...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY0NQ

Thumbs up About fuse and toys :)

Hi,

I wrote tmfs with no interest in performances. A friend of mine lost its macbook and could not read its Time Machine. So I wrote tmfs to help him recovering its data.

The main goal is to provide a read only access to the data, performance is a non goal. So fuse is the best solution for this task.

=> going to update the README

Thank you for the article!

How did you manage to do this without support for directory hard links? (Linux lacks support for this.)

Hi RealNC,

You should read https://github.com/babali/tmfs/blob/...t_real_path.cc

I used a simple trick, when I see a regular file with a size of 0, I suppose that it's a directory hardlink.
    So I check: I stat the path ${hfs_root}/.HFS+ Private Directory Data\r/dir_${nlink}/ and if it exists then I suppose it's a directory hardlink. If the file does not exists I know that it's not a directory hardlink.

This may fail, but it's not common to have high nlink count on regular file.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    How did you manage to do this without support for directory hard links? (Linux lacks support for this.)
    Hi RealNC,

You should read https://github.com/babali/tmfs/blob/...t_real_path.cc

I used a simple trick, when I see a regular file with a size of 0, I suppose that it's a directory hardlink.
    So I check: I stat the path ${hfs_root}/.HFS+ Private Directory Data\r/dir_${nlink}/ and if it exists then I suppose it's a directory hardlink. If the file does not exists I know that it's not a directory hardlink.

This may fail, but it's not common to have high nlink count on regular file.

PS: I have some troubles with forums, I hope I didn't sent it many times....

@babali: Well done, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by babali View Post
    I wrote tmfs with no interest in performances. A friend of mine lost its macbook and could not read its Time Machine. So I wrote tmfs to help him recovering its data.
    Amazing! What a noble use of software writing skills. If you want something done do it yourself.

... How come I didn't get an article when I wrote dishpvrfs-fuse?
    Hmmmm?

It allows reading of dishnetwork pvr disks.