got my new PC with this board for 3 weeks. Installed Ubuntu 6.06 on it. Everything works out the box:
- video: onboard 6150 with DVI-out using nvidia-glx. 1280x720 XviD movies play very smoothly. Nvidia XvMC is awsome but only usable for MPEG2 (DVD).
- sound: nice surround sound. I haven't tested the SP/DIF yet.
- network: nice and fast.
- USB2: very fast. much faster than USB2 on my old PC. Make sure to disable USB-legacy-support in the BIOS to avoid bootup problems caused by ACPI interrupts. The drawback for disabling BIOS' USB-legacy-support is that you wont be able to boot from USB anymore. The MSI MB provides a total of 8 USB connections!
- SATA: got 67MB/s on my Seagate 7200.9 300G sata-II. The MSI MB provides a total of 4 SATA connections.
- PATA: got 56MB/s on my Maxtor 120G. The MSI MB provides 2 PATA connections (4 devices.)
- CPU: after enabling C'n'Q in the BIOS, powernowd start scaling my CPU freq up and down as needed. Very nice.
- sensors: let the BIOS control the CPU fan based on CPU temp. The CPU temp and CPU fan can be monitored by lm_sensors. Sys Temp and Sys Fan can be monitored by BIOS/lm_sensors but there's no way to control Sys Fan. NB fan cannot be monitored at all.
% sudo hddtemp SATA:/dev/sda PATA:/dev/hdb
/dev/sda: ST3300622AS: 36?C
/dev/hdb: Maxtor 6Y120P0: 26?C
% sudo sensors
Adapter: ISA adapter
Case Fan: 756 RPM (min = 1205 RPM, div = 8)
CPU Fan: 874 RPM (min = 1704 RPM, div = 8)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)
fan4: 0 RPM (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)
Sys Temp: +32?C (high = +45?C, hyst = +40?C)
CPU Temp: +31.0?C (high = +45.0?C, hyst = +40.0?C)
temp3: +40.5?C (high = +80.0?C, hyst = +75.0?C)
- CPU: Athlon64 X2 4200+
- RAM: OCZ 2x1G
- MB: MSI k8ngm2-fid
- HSF: Scythe Mine
- Case: Silverstone TJ08
- PSU: Seasonic S12 430W
- HDD: Seagate 7200.9 300G sata-II
- Monitor: Samsung 960P LCD.
- Sound: onboard
- Video: onboard (DVI out)
- GigE: onboard
- OS: Unbuntu 6.06