Thread: Linux FPS game project

Default Linux FPS game project

I've been producing a FPS game/engine specifically for Linux (compiles also for Windows) since late last year. The project is starting to be in quite a good state already, so I decided to bring this up also here at Phoronix. I'm sure there are some people who would be interested in this sort of project.

Link http://koti.mbnet.fi/~blender/glfps/

The names of the engine and game are still open, although for now the engine is called Polyscape.

The game idea is not at a very mature state yet, but what is sure is that this will be a realistic network FPS. For now, the goal is to release a test version that implements basic team based death match in a relatively large landscape setting. There is no real goal of a completely finished game, but the game development will be a continuous process, where new releases are frequently uploaded.

There will be a more elaborate game idea later on, but the plans are still on the table. Most probably the game will be team based and very objective oriented. By "objective", I don't mean the well-known "place bomb etc.", but something more complicated and inspiring.

I would be very happy to hear any comments and thoughts.

Any benchmark mode for it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Any benchmark mode for it yet?
    Nah . Not yet. With the newly added shadow mapping I get 30-60 fps in the forest map, that is shown in the latest images. I'm running it on i7 920 and GTX260, (Lucid Lynx). Without the shadows I get constant 60 fps even on three player network session. The shadow code surely requires optimizations.

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Nah . Not yet. With the newly added shadow mapping I get 30-60 fps in the forest map, that is shown in the latest images. I'm running it on i7 920 and GTX260, (Lucid Lynx). Without the shadows I get constant 60 fps even on three player network session. The shadow code surely requires optimizations.
    That dont sound too bad for a start

Im a big FPS gamer, so if you want some people to help with testing let me know and I will try to free up some time to help you out with it dude Also I might be able to get others involved if you like as I play with quite a lot of people online within a number of game servers!

Drop me a PM if you require a hand with testing dude, I dont know how to code games, but I done a lot of alpha and beta testing so can help with that for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielB View Post
    That dont sound too bad for a start

Im a big FPS gamer, so if you want some people to help with testing let me know and I will try to free up some time to help you out with it dude Also I might be able to get others involved if you like as I play with quite a lot of people online within a number of game servers!

Drop me a PM if you require a hand with testing dude, I dont know how to code games, but I done a lot of alpha and beta testing so can help with that for sure!
    Help with testing is highly welcome. I will upload the first version of the game after next week. I can
    then announce time windows, when a public server is running, since I cannot establish a full
    dedicated server yet.

I'm pleased to inform you that the first release is out for public testing.
    The website is at the moment at

http://koti.mbnet.fi/b/blender/glfps/sphpblog

where the news can be commented on.

Just had a quick look, for a first release, seems like your off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by storma View Post
    Just had a quick look, for a first release, seems like your off to a good start.
    Thanks .

So you were able to run the game? I'm basically expecting problems on different
    platforms, as the game has only been tested on two platforms prior to release.

You said very professional,I will remember

I just uploaded a new version, which introduces a myriad of new features and improvements. Frankly the game starts to look and feel pretty good now, after one year of development. I hope that especially Linux oriented people will find this game unique in its kind and give it a run.

The project has now also a dedicated domain at http://www.perilouspenguin.com/glfps.